I can Assemble a rifle so fixing a Dyson?

We have had Dyson vacuums for way to long, constantly break. Finally talked my wife into a Shark at a fraction of the price. It is a great vacuum and I don't have to spend all my time fixing the darn thing. Dysons were made to break. I'm also a fixer but when my wife's vacuum doesn't work she is hard to deal with. haha
Thanks
Was going to Get a SHARK if I didn't fix the Dyson. Whenever this Dyson goes and I can't fix we are getting a SHARK

I'm still running a couple of dysons that are easily 18 years old at this point. They aren't easy to fix because of all the plastic press to fit parts, but if you take your time they can be fixed.

Nice work on the repair and I agree, take that $500 savings for a new vacuum and buy a barrel.

Len, what is really cool is my son is a "fixer" and loves to try to make it right again! I always tried to show him things that are still functional but need repair are worth the effort to fix. Things that he has tackled has amazed me and dang proud. Plus he has a really good job that he could easily be part of the "throw away gen" today. Its up to us to pass along what I believe is a valuable trait that is slipping away.
GREAT that you took the time to teach your son.
My dad never paid anyone to fix anything . He made me his gofer and I had to stay every minute with him when he was fixing anything. I am so grateful for my dad doing that to me (for me). He also had me work with Carpenters, Plumbers, Electricians on weekends and summer breaks. Since growing up the only person I ever paid is the" Surgeons" for joint replacement. I'll do a lot of other medical (have my own "Staple Gun and Suture Kits"). Built repair some of my houses, fix all our cars, trucks, tractors.
Body is worn out now so I am a lot slower and hurts a lot more. Today I will be cleaning out the Clothes Dryer inside and the pipe vent all the way through the walls, second story and to the roof.

+1 for Shark! When we bought our condo, the previous owner left one of those Dyson ball vacuums so I decided to test it out. Rickety and squeaky build that doesn't work well and is overpriced despite the big name...the Ruger of vacuum cleaners.

My philosophy on products and life is that I don't have time to try and make something work that should have worked in the first place. If its broke I will buy something better.

Do you do contract work on Dysons? 😏 I spent an hour trying to clean it and then the brush won't engage. We have a central vac system now, but no outlets in the basement man cave. Appliance repair is lost service now. I have repaired a washer, dryer, oven, and refrigerator in the last year. Could not get anyone to show up. Saved $$$ but there was way too much profanity used and my body contortions made me feel really old. The Dyson was a nightmare and I gave up.

This Dyson is 18 years old! The one thing that I am sure helped a ton was tearing down the cyclone and wash the crap out of it. The hot water in my basement sink turned black washing it out. Every little vent hole was cleaned so air flow was back to full capacity. I cleaned the transfer point at base where you go from wand to brush. Crap builds up on the slide area like long strands of hair (of course not from me😂) from rugs, or just plain weird stuff. The wire that you can see in front of the ball is where most power failures occur. Real PITA to reach the wire to fix. I was able to detach the brush plug in front and pull back through and up and out. Then I was able to repair wire and pull back through. Pair of hemostats work great! Motor was still strong. Its always the peripheral stuff that goes wrong and cleaning is major issue that causes over heating easily and auto shut down.

Muddy I admire your repair skills. And I sincerely mean that, some of those contraptions are quite complicated. But must admit that I am also in awe of your mathematical skills. Saved $500, so you figure that possible get a new barrel, this is great logic and I can get behind it and whole heartily support it. My only question is what are you going to sabotage so you can repair it so you can continue with your logic to get the action, then stock, trigger, etc? Best of luck and have a great day.

Working on repairing a 15 year old HP printer C5180 All In One that even today is top of line for capability. There is something caught in a gear that requires complete tear down to get to it. My wife wants me to toss to get new Epson EcoTank but hey, this has to be worth a Triggertech, rings and bases!