I can Assemble a rifle so fixing a Dyson?

Muddyboots

My wife has an older Dyson and brush quit working except when one direction? Called couple repair places. Will not touch, too old and no parts. So nothing to lose, I started to take it apart where the crazy ball rotates and where the brush head attaches. After a lot of down time trying to figure out how to remove parts, got enough apart and holy cow, I see a broken wire! BUT impossible to get at! So removed a few more parts and saw a way to pull the wire harness back out of its hidey hole. Got it out and very little to work with but using small wire connector crimped into place, got it. Wrapped with electrical tape, snaked it back into place and assembled it back (about 15 screws! in difficult spots). Brought back up from basement, plugged in and voila it worked perfectly!

So about a half day to repair and saved easy $500 on new Dyson = new barrel? What say you?

No they are not easy to take apart and in fact I came up with novel approach that allowed me to pull the wire harness out so I could reach the break. Otherwise, it would be in hundred pieces in basement. I thought of using shrink tubing but afraid too stiff and wouldn't "flex" on vacuum rotation. Good old crimp connector and good electrical tape is my hope will stand up to the flex.

What bothered me a bit was breaker didn't trip for this wire arcing. So now have to test breaker for that circuit.

No they are not easy to take apart and in fact I came up with novel approach that allowed me to pull the wire harness out so I could reach the break. Otherwise, it would be in hundred pieces in basement. I thought of using shrink tubing but afraid too stiff and wouldn't "flex" on vacuum rotation. Good old crimp connector and good electrical tape is my hope will stand up to the flex.

What bothered me a bit was breaker didn't trip for this wire arcing. So now have to test breaker for that circuit.
Same here ,my appliance story ,
Bought propane 50,00O btu console heater used off Craig's list ,for 60.00 ! ( new they run over 1000.00 ).

After 2 days of installation and trying to get it going , I can honestly say I caught my hair on fire , yep saved 900.00 or so ,
But spent 500.00 on a , Knight in shining armor suit that I use every time I go to light it now.

OK, can't stop laughing! Old friend bought used one for his pole barn winter work and couldn't get it to light. So if your rifle doesn't fire, do you look down the barrel? Yep, he looked into the discharge just as it lit post start and yep, no hair, eye brows and mustache was shriveled up and charred. I asked for a photo but he didn't think that was a reasonable request. I use to yell "fire in the hole" when he was around and yep, didn't think much of that either.😂

My wife has an older Dyson and brush quit working except when one direction? Called couple repair places. Will not touch, too old and no parts. So nothing to lose, I started to take it apart where the crazy ball rotates and where the brush head attaches. After a lot of down time trying to figure out how to remove parts, got enough apart and holy cow, I see a broken wire! BUT impossible to get at! So removed a few more parts and saw a way to pull the wire harness back out of its hidey hole. Got it out and very little to work with but using small wire connector crimped into place, got it. Wrapped with electrical tape, snaked it back into place and assembled it back (about 15 screws! in difficult spots). Brought back up from basement, plugged in and voila it worked perfectly!

So about a half day to repair and saved easy $500 on new Dyson = new barrel? What say you?
Muddy Great Job!
Dyson Machines - Repair shops tell you that you need to send back to Dyson.
Our generation is "Fix it" "Never throw away"
We have a Dyson Cordless for Animal Hair. Cost in the $500 range and had to take apart the roller base several times (small parts).
About one month ago it stopped working. I called Dyson and they said would be better to replace than repair. I said GREAT - another expense for a new vacuum. Decided the Battey may need replacement Dyson wanted $130, AMAZON had one with twice the APH for $49. (bought Lapua Brass Cases with the savings.) Now works better and never runs out of power for what we us it for. Great Vacuums, but expensive.

Santa Claus GIF by filmeditor

Just kidding. I say it shouldn't be hard especially if you're talking about a prefit.

Bought propane 50,00O btu console heater used off Craig's list ,for 60.00 ! ( new they run over 1000.00 ).

After 2 days of installation and trying to get it going , I can honestly say I caught my hair on fire , yep saved 900.00 or so ,
But spent 500.00 on a , Knight in shining armor suit that I use every time I go to light it now.
OK, can't stop laughing! Old friend bought used one for his pole barn winter work and couldn't get it to light. So if your rifle doesn't fire, do you look down the barrel? Yep, he looked into the discharge just as it lit post start and yep, no hair, eye brows and mustache was shriveled up and charred. I asked for a photo but he didn't think that was a reasonable request. I use to yell "fire in the hole" when he was around and yep, didn't think much of that either.😂
me neither 😂

We're going broke saving money.

Our generation is "Fix it" "Never throw away"
Len, what is really cool is my son is a "fixer" and loves to try to make it right again! I always tried to show him things that are still functional but need repair are worth the effort to fix. Things that he has tackled has amazed me and dang proud. Plus he has a really good job that he could easily be part of the "throw away gen" today. Its up to us to pass along what I believe is a valuable trait that is slipping away.

We have had Dyson vacuums for way to long, constantly break. Finally talked my wife into a Shark at a fraction of the price. It is a great vacuum and I don't have to spend all my time fixing the darn thing. Dysons were made to break. I'm also a fixer but when my wife's vacuum doesn't work she is hard to deal with. haha