Calling MDT lss owner's

I have been using chassis systems on my PRS rifles. An MPA on my 6.5x47 and the MDT on my 22 rimfire. I found myself much preferring the chassis over conventional stocks for PRS, so I decided to try one on a hunting rifle. The biggest issue with a chassis is that they tend to be too heavy for hunting. I have an MPA Lite Chassis on order which at 3# total weight, should match the weight of my conventionally stocked 6.5x284 at 10.5-11#. I'm anxious to see how it works out for hunting.

The MDT on my 22 rimfire is excellent quality with perfect fit and improved accuracy over the original stock.
View attachment 92303 View attachment 92304

When I ran the total stock weight for a LSS it was 1lb 7 ounces for the chassis. 14 ounces for the stock. 4 ounces for the buffer tube and 5 ounces for the grip. Total weight = 2.8 ounces.

For example I believe the ruger predator stock is 1.8 lbs and total rifle weight is 6.6.

So a ruger predator with a MDT LSS would weight around 7.6 lbs without a scope. But with my luepold, it would weight right around 8.5lbs. That seems very light to me, am I not accounting for some weight ?

I agree timberelk. My rifle got lighter by 2 ounces somehow. I did have an extremely heavy strap-on cheek riser on the factory stock before the switch. Its a pretty light chassis compared to the ones I looked at. And if you can find the one you need in the clearance section with nothing but paint blemishes then you can't go wrong for the price.

t'elk, I think you have the rifle weight wrong on the predator. Mine (6.5 creed)weighs 12.7 lbs as shown with a loaded 10 rd mag, LRHS and harris 'pod

Thanks for the info! How heavy is your scope? How heavy is the 10 round loaded mag? I assume about 1lb for the bipod?

I've slowly been putting together my rifle with an LSS-XL Gen 2 stock. I had been holding out for a sale on their carbine buttstock, but finally bit the bullet and ordered it. I plan to put a heavy-barreled Savage 7mm in it, but not having finished a wood stock for my wife's .30-06, I think it may go in the chassis for a Fall antelope hunt if we get drawn.

The only problem I've had, and the engineers at MDT were very responsive, is that the chassis for the Savage won't accept an NSS recoil lug (same dimensions as a 700s). The NSS is both too tall and doesn't have enough taper to fit in the chassis without catching on the sides or bottoming out. A couple trips to the belt sander, and it's almost a fit.

I run a 700 in 300 Blk Out in a LSS for hog & coyote. Works real good. I like it because my 11yr old nephew can shoot it then I can, all we do is adj the stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.