Calipers - Which Mitutoyo Model...?

Full Curl

I'm in the market for a new set of digital/electronic calipers for reloading. From all the research I've done, Mitutoyo seems to be a brand that gets high reviews. My question is what specific Mitutoyo model would you guys with a lot of experience recommend for general all-around reloading for magnum rifle cartridges? Thanks.

My cousin got a patent and wrote the software that is in the coolant proof calipers.

I own over a dozen calipers, and those are good, but pricey.

I have calipers in the reloading room, on my desk, at the mill, at the lathe, and at the granite surface plate.

The two best bangs for the buck are

$18 digital
Robot Check
I give these away, like Elvis with Cadillacs.

$120 dial
Robot Check

If you have calipers, keep checking them against a pin gauge. Wipe off the jaws and re zero.

I like the Starretts better than most of the others for one simple reason. The cover over the battery slides away from contact with the battery. Makes the battery last a lot longer. Yet 90% of my reloading is with a pair of analog Mitutoyos.
gary

Thanks for the replies guys. All good information.

Clark - That $18 one has some very mixed reviews on Amazon.

Thanks for the replies guys. All good information.

Clark - That $18 one has some very mixed reviews on Amazon.

4.5 out of 5 stars is a strong mixed drink.

I have a dozen, many costing more than $100, and the $18 is my favorite right now.
I had it sent to 3 other guys, and .... I was in one guy's shop and it works fine... I should call the other guys.

OK, I called one, he has the calipers in his hand, working fine.
OK, I called the other guy, and his is working too.

Clark - Thanks for the follow-up. I'm going to take a hard look at them. Appreciate the information.

I'm in the market for a new set of digital/electronic calipers for reloading.From all the research I've done, Mitutoyo seems to be a brand that gets high reviews.My question is what specific Mitutoyo model would you guys with a lot of experience recommend for general all-around reloading for magnum rifle cartridges? Thanks.

This should meet your requirement >>> Mitutoyo 500-196-30 | Calipers

My cousin's Mitutoyo design, coolant proof, if nice if you are on the lathe or mill and have coolant all over the place. The dial type are also coolant proof.

The wife challenged me 20 years ago to design a low cost fat meter. I could not get good amplitude immunity on the phase detector and then gave up. My cousin's coolant proof caliper design came out, and he told me he uses magnetic positioning. I asked how he got the amplitude immunity, and he said he uses 3 phase and nulls it out.
So I bought his calipers just to keep myself humble.

Below while not the same brand these less costly vernier calipers are accurate and you will not cry if you drop and break them. (most are made in China)

Below a Colt Field Gauge 1.4736, and the bottom photo the "calibrated" Hornady gauge and calipers reading 1.4735.

headspacegauge006_zps3cdabdf4.jpg

headspacegauge_zps14d3b71f.jpg

Below my Mitutoyo calipers I bought in 1973 for $48.00. "BUT" when your reach your "golden years" the big digital display on the above calipers are much easier to see.

Picture009_zpsa5f7e7dd.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.