Caliber

I suppose that all depends on the range of the hunt and how well she handles a long vs short action and recoil. I find most all the non magnums work well and the .308 based rifles perform great. 7-08 or 308 are both great choices. I personally have a 3006 308 and the 6.5-284. I barrow a 7 08 occasionally for fun. The 7 08 with a 168 berger or accubond would be a great all around rifle for deer and elk.

I think a 7-08 or a 270win would work fine. Even a 6.5mm in something at least as fast as a 260 rem are used with success. I know women that shoot them well. I'd put at least a 140 grain pill in either and go from there. They'll both do fine as long as she can place the shot well...and I know what forum you're on but I wouldn't have her doing any long range shots on elk with these.

Some of the 30 cal non-mags will work also, but you do get in to more recoil, generally speaking.

Now, if you're looking to build/get a rifle for her and use it for yourself as well, I'd go 280AI or the 6.5x284 just because they're interesting to me and the brass is being produced now.

Good call on the 260 or 280AI etc. Ami is little, 5' 5" and 115 lbs, and shoots my 6.5-284 quite well. She struggles a little with bolt manipulation but that is about it. I would have no issue at all popping an elk with my 6.5 at LR. They are proven to be extremely deadly.

LOL, YEP. Get a 6.5 then. Pick your poison. The 260, creedmore, etc. I really like my 6.5-284. 2965 fps, 140 berger, does well. If you want to share, ha ha, get the Savage 116 in stainless at Cabelas if you can find one. Pretty rifle, easy to shoot, accurate. $749 is their retail price. Like I said my little lady likes it and next time out she is going to fling lead at 1000.

The .270 is an awesome choice!
With it's light recoil it's actually fun to shoot- even for ladies and kids. And since nearly every sport shop, hardware store and convenience store in the country has ammo for them you never have to worry about getting caught if you forget or run out.
Also, it can be loaded down for prairie dogs and other 'off season' critters or loaded heavier for elk and such.
The main thing is that whatever caliber you get, make SURE she shoots it as much as possible and gets proficient and comfortable with it.

.308 in Remington 750 Woodsmaster very light recoil because its auto
I have an older 742 in .308 and no recoil pad can shoot it all day
Maybe a 35 Whelen another choice

I have harvested elk with everything from a .243 to .375 H&H, but my always "go to" rifle is a Win Mod 70 in .270 Win. I lived and guided in CO for more than 20 years and got an elk every year with my .270. It worked just as well in NM and AZ. This is one caliber that you can both shoot, and as has already been pointed out, you can find ammo for it anywhere out west where they sell ammunition. Ditto for the 30-06, but I personally never could justify the extra pounding my shoulder got with the '06. I know this is a LR forum, but in my experience most elk are shot from point blank range out to about 300 yrds and the .270 is definitely up to the task if one knows where to send the bullet. Of course, this is IMO but I don't have a problem laying it out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.