Caliber and best factory rifle for Whitetail deer - NC

6.5 prc would be less recoil than the 7mm for sure. If factory ammo is a huge interest, the best choice is the .308, bar none - ammo can be had anywhere, low recoil unless a true ultralight rifle, accurate as they come and will kill anything in NC including some bigger critters in zoos 😅 There are a ton of great choices for what you are looking for. You just need to narrow down the bits that are most important to you. 😉
Agree 100% The reason the .308 Win is one of the most popular cartridges in the EU for everything from foxes to Moose

I think for what you are asking the rifle to do, pick a .308 in whatever action you prefer. I have had good luck with a Tikka super light, but the bergara or honestly anything else would be fine.
Fully agree with you about the .308 Win as well as the Tikka and Bergera rifles. I got one of each in .308 for deer,elk and moose. Easy to load an accurate and powerful load, plethora of factory fodder.

Couple things I'll add:
The dart board deal is close.
Like the recoil chart, except 205 avg grain for a 308? Should be about 165ish, close w/270-140g.
No need for Creed.
No need for Magnum anything!

Finally someone said 30-06 for everything East of the Mississippi.
The better response should be 30-06 for everything South of the North Alaskan border!

Pretty full recoil chart, Chuck Hawks is reliable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211107_125105.jpg
    Screenshot_20211107_125105.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
Couple things I'll add:
The dart board deal is close.
Like the recoil chart, except 205 avg grain for a 308? Should be about 165ish, close w/270-140g.
No need for Creed.

Finally someone said 30-06 for everything East of the Mississippi.
The better response should be 30-06 for everything South of the North Alaskan border!
30-06 might be the most popular caliber even in Alaska

Yes, and I'm not a reloader so factory ammo availability is important. Just seems like most high end manufacturers don't offer that caliber as much, which is surprising.
I'm looking at the Seekins PH2 or one of the Bergara's for a deer hunting rifle. I'm open to other manufacturers as well, these two just seem to be highly reviewed. I'm leaning towards a 6.5 PRC, but a 7mm magnum might be more practical for ammo availability. I have a 7mm magnum and it's a great caliber for hunting, just though a short action might be good to have for a change. I'm a hold over shooter, I don't need to do MOA adjustments for 1000 yards for anything. Normally I shoot from 100-500 yards. I'd say 250-300 yards would be more normal. I appreciate any suggestions on caliber or manufacturer. Rifle weight doesn't matter much because I just carry the gun to a box stand, maybe walk 500-600 yards. I also do not want a muzzle break, bad on the ears when hunting. So recoil might come in to play for caliber selection, or maybe a heavier rifle. Thanks for any help.
If your not going to reload a 308 will do anything you want and its probably the easiest ammo to find with the most available options and this is MHO but I really like the pre 64 Winchester or the older Remington 700s

Ammo. Before you buy the rifle, source and buy the ammo if you dont reload. All calibers discussed are good, but calibers like the PRC and most others are not availalble.

I an in NC and I shoot from a 6mm - 300 WM for deer, but I only shoot handloads and I have my relaoder supplies in decent inventory.

Good luck

So I promised I wood share my experience in North Carolina using my 270 Win. This past Monday, I had a Buck come in down a trail and walk about 80 or 90 yards straight toward my elevated blind, I let him get almost to the blind, and when he turned on an angel to make a left , I took then shot. He was Quartering away and at about 40 yards I fired. One shot , fell straight down. Its what I expected . No walking, No Moving. No Tracking . No Exit Hole . Not Much of a shot to be sure , but I am completely comfortable with that 270 Win with 130 Grain ballistic tips at 3050 FPS. This has happened at 100 yards and 110 Yards, as well. Next year I will take the .270 Weatherby Mag because the Bean fields and the Cotton field are almost 500 yards across. I love North Carolina!!!

So I promised I wood share my experience in North Carolina using my 270 Win. This past Monday, I had a Buck come in down a trail and walk about 80 or 90 yards straight toward my elevated blind, I let him get almost to the blind, and when he turned on an angel to make a left , I took then shot. He was Quartering away and at about 40 yards I fired. One shot , fell straight down. Its what I expected . No walking, No Moving. No Tracking . No Exit Hole . Not Much of a shot to be sure , but I am completely comfortable with that 270 Win with 130 Grain ballistic tips at 3050 FPS. This has happened at 100 yards and 110 Yards, as well. Next year I will take the .270 Weatherby Mag because the Bean fields and the Cotton field are almost 500 yards across. I love North Carolina!!!
Glad you got one, I will shoot out to 500 yards as well. North Carolina is a good place to be.

This one-

I made a purchase yesterday. Seekins Precision is offering their PH2 rifles in new color schemes with some discounts for Black Friday. I bought the Mountain Shadow in 6.5 PRC, will be about a 3 month wait. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! Everyone I've talked to seems to be very happy with any Seekins rifle.
1637848915445.png

Just my personal opinion. guys. Best factory Rifle; Weatherby Ultralight; Caliber; 270 Win ; bullet: 130 Grn. Ballistic tips. at 3050 fps. Close range shot this year. The Rifle is very light and easy to maneuver. Once again, one shot ,dropped straight down. With respect to the other excellent suggestions , I am still completely happy with my Rifle/ Scope / Bullet selection.

Attachments

• IMG_2528At the range Oct 2021.jpg
    IMG_2528At the range Oct 2021.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4728 N Carolina  Nov 15 2021.jpg
    IMG_4728 N Carolina Nov 15 2021.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 44