Caldwell 1000 BR Front Rest (Beware)

TheReeper

Hi to all, first off I am new to the site but have been looking at it for years and I finally decided to join and post. This will be my first major post so bare with me. I decided to buy the Caldwell 1000 BR Front Rest. It looked very nice and looked to have very nice windage and elevation adjustments. Plus, the price was not bad. Well, I should have known, you get what you pay for. This is not a well put together front rest. The Windage adjustment does not function well at all and the elevation adjustment is just as bad. I should have bought the Sinclair Front Rest in the beginning, but I thought I would save a buck. I have learned my lesson, and I ordered the Sinclair Front Rest.​

Spend the extra money and get a Sinclair Rest. The Caldwell 1000 BR Front Rest will cost you around $170.00, but for $190.00 more you can get the Sinclair Front Rest and it is a Top Notch product. Don't buy the Caldwell if you want a quality rest.​

I am suprised you have had so many complaints with the Caldwell BR mechanical rest.

I have had mine for a few years now and it has been used HARD with rifles from 8 lb sporters up to 65 lb monsters. It has riden in the back of the truck for thousands of miles and always has performed extremely well.

I did however take the rest apart and cleaned and coated the main worm screw with heavy moly grease. I also replaced the bag that came on the rest with several of the extra bag options you can get for the rest and they work much better.

When you say the rest is not put together well, I simply do not understand what you could mean unless they have really changed things. Details please.

When you say the elevation and windage adjustments do not function well, what does that mean again. The elevation screw does not turn?

More details why your rest does not work.

personally I think they are a steel and will buy another one when this one wears out if it ever does which I do not expect anytime soon.

I also purchased one a few years back and like the way it functions. For the price, it works for me very well. I shoot rifles from 22-250 to a 416 Rem off the rest and mine works fine.

Maybe you got a lemon? Did you try to return it to Midway or where-ever you bought it?

I've had one for a few years now, no problems. Just upgraded to a Caldwell Fire-Control Joystick rest, new on the market and goes for about $200.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.