Cabela's rant

Cabelas is 60 miles from my house. I do like to walk around in their store and spend some money a few times a year. I would rather support my local sporting goods stores,even if they have to order something in that they don't carry in stock,they are usually more than happy to do so. Just makes you feel good to support local also.

I shop local when I can, too. Whether is gun parts or motorcycle parts, buying local helps keep the guy in business who intimately knows what he is selling- and therefore can help when things don't work as expected.
Unfortunately, there are not many Mom and Pop outdoor stores near me.
Thankfully, there are both Scheels and Rocky Mountain Discount Sports not too far away!

There's a Cabela's and Bass Pro 45 minutes from my house (one north and one south). I've never bought anything from Bass Pro but I still check in at the Cabelas every couple weeks. The Bargain Cave is still alive and well and a great place to search for good deals on optics. Their used guns are all priced pretty good too. The last good one I grabbed was an Arnold Arms model 2000 in 458 Arnold for $450. They didn't know what it was so I got a great deal.

I don't go there looking for reloading supplies though since there's never anything there I need. Unless you shoot a 223 or a 308 you'll never find any useful components. Try asking them for a box of 300gr OTMs and see what they say. There's a Sportsman's Warehouse about 45 minutes away too that's better but not great. For any gunpowder I have to head south a little ways to small local shop. That's always fun though because the only thing between me and that shop is a 200,000 acre chunk of Weyerhaeuser timber land that I have an access permit for. Last time I went down to that shop I showed up with two grouse and a rabbit that I shot on the way down there. LOL

Cabela's screwed you because of bad business practices and sold you out. Maybe if they would have raised there prices earlier they would still be in business.

I have never really cared for ANY of the big box sporting goods stores!
And their stupid policy's!
Why fool with them when Buds is just a short drive for me? Buds has a much bigger selection and better pricing!
I never use plastic.. cash only! So it matters not to me if they survive or not!
But I understand BPS buying out the competition! It's just business!

I have both BassPro 16 miles and Cabelas 4 miles away. Went to BP one time, prices so high couldn't believe it. Went to Cabelas, purchased quit a number of items over the years. I knew Cabelas would go to crap when the purchase was announced. Just a couple of overpriced tourists traps now.

Last edited:
I have both BassPro 16 miles and Cabelas 4 miles away. Went to BP one time, prices so high couldn't believe it. Went to Cabelas, purchased quit a number of items over the years. I knew Cabelas would go to crap when the purchase was announced. Just a couple of overpriced tourists traps now.
That's exactly what they've turned into. Like I said earlier I'm just waiting for them to start selling treadmills and golf clubs.

I'm glad I saw this thread as I thought I was the only one having these thoughts. I've still been able to get some good deals in the past six months by chaining up some discounts. When my girlfriend was ready to pick up a franchi affinity for pheasants Cabela's (even after discount gift cards etc) was nowhere near Sportsman's warehouse on price, sportsman's got the sale. I've been going there more lately, although it is out of the way. Before Cabela's prices were about the same but you always had a coupon or something, but with their new higher prices it's harder to justify shopping even with a coupon. The selection at sportsman's is solid and the staff at the ones here are great and not pushy. When I was starting to shop for a scope I went to both and was up front that I was just starting to look at them. Once the Cabela's counter guy learned that he turned kind of cold, at sportsman's the guy started showing me more scopes I hadn't thought of to make sure I was on the right path.

A couple of gripes about my local Cabela's. First, for some reason they cut open all if the bricks of primers and mark them up and sell them by the 100. Even when I see a deal online for primers (S&B for under $20/1000) when I get down to the local store they don't have them. I'm looking to buy primers on sale by the 5,000, not 100. Next is the newer powder prices. H1000 for $37.99? Pass. At first I thought maybe the import tariffs changed with all this trade war crap, but I haven't seen anyone else raising prices. Third, I swear the gun/accessory department is shrinking. Bass pro always had a lack luster selection of this stuff and everytime I'm at Cabela's it seems that it lost another aisle to clothing.

Basically, I still go to Cabela's when I'm in the area, but I walk out empty handed more often than not.

Cabelas is 60 miles from my house. I do like to walk around in their store and spend some money a few times a year. I would rather support my local sporting goods stores,even if they have to order something in that they don't carry in stock,they are usually more than happy to do so. Just makes you feel good to support local also.

It should make you feel better to spend money at a local shop. You are directly supporting the person you are handing the money to. You are putting money back into your own community instead of having it shipped to a corporation. I know a wealthy guy who owns car dealerships in a smaller market. He insists that his whole family spend all their money locally. In turn, he expects anyone in the area who buys a truck to shop with him. It's just good business.

If your local shop is decent they'll start stocking more stuff as the volume warrants it. We all fall prey to the convenience of online shopping, but if you expect your local shop to have a forgotten staple the night before opening day we need to support them year round.

I'm done with cabelas. Along with the higher prices, they've stripped away all of the benefits on the things that I purchase most. E.g. no more mil discount on guns, ammo, and reloading supplies. So, for me it's like a double kick in the junk. Luckily, I have options. Sportsman's Warehouse is only a few more minutes away and they treat me a lot better.

When we want something we go to the tiny only local sporting goods store in our town. Wether they have it or not, we have already done our research. If they can't be within a few bucks, we order online. The owner gets chapped sometimes when we ask "how close can ya get to this price for X product". I'm all about supporting the little guy but i hate it dry.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.