Cabela's rant

US bank cash plus has a 150$ sign up bonus and gets 5% cash back at sporting good stores. Like Academy, Dunhams, (Cabelas (not online)) I even got 5% back at Red Hawk Rifles

The problem is my wife can find a lot of things to buy with cash back - cabelas points tho, not so much...lol.

The problem is my wife can find a lot of things to buy with cash back - cabelas points tho, not so much...lol.

LOL my wife is into archery so I'm screwed either way.

I always dreaded checking out in Cabelas and they are like "you have ___ points" while I'm trying to stare into the cashiers soul and tell them to be chill and shut their mouth lol

LOL my wife is into archery so I'm screwed either way.

I always dreaded checking out in Cabelas and they are like "you have ___ points" while I'm trying to stare into the cashiers soul and tell them to be chill and shut their mouth lol
Lol - thats funny as hell!

stopped using my new card as of jan 1( *** MASTERCARD), all transactions now on a usaa VISA.
costco will not take mastercard
now i have to figure out how to use $600 points

I think Cabelas went down hill when they went public. I've been a Cabelas customer for 35+ years, but its getting closer to be the end.
Their customer service and their products both used to be absolutely top notch, but since the stock market got involved, thats gone.
I agree that BP seems to be intentionally screwing Cabelas. They even took out the Bargain Cave!

Cabelas had brand specific products like boots that were made by mendl and good quality tents and jackets. Now everything is BP brand items that are their Red Head series. Not interested.
And all there cabelas brand boots and clothes had their lifetime warranty, regardless of who actually made them.

Cabelas demise started when they went for broke with a proliferation of brick and mortar stores when the actual trend was headed to online buying. They got cash poor and leveraged out. I was a stockholder after they went public, they did really well for awhile but once they started springing up stores all over I sold it all and got out at the top (glad I did).

Redhead brand anything sucks and so does the crappy 90 day guarantee or what they call a warranty! The Cabelas brand items were generally pretty good and the lifetime guarantee or pro-rated exchange was impossible to beat. Not sure if that is all going away now as well. Has anyone tried yet?

Now- for the current problem of terrible prices, terrible service, etc... I've called and called--- the only way to make any headway with customer service is through EMAIL-- it sucks but I've gotten my best results from EMAIL and SOCIAL MEDIA. Ex-- they no longer honor the military/LE pricing on firearms. For those of you who remember- it used to be a 10% discount that was only offered 3-4 times per year-- then that went away and we got a 5% discount every day on all items to include firearms.... now that is 5% all day but not on firearms AND from the look of the last "club sale" they also do not allow the 2,3,5x point multipliers on firearms sales. To be honest the discount and points were the only things that kept Cabelas competitive--- so my last 3 firearm purchases have been at small LGS which I will now fully support.

They also did away with the bargain cave-- there will now be small "bargain boards" in each specific area of the store... Good luck with that.

Again- the only way to change their minds is with our wallets and our email because the phone reps literally have no way to log complaints (probably for good reason).

For their credit as of 2 weeks ago my local store still has a bargain cave. It is far too organized now so you don't get the incredible deals you could find stuck in a corner but it is still there.

I also talked to management this year and they said bass pro gave them more money for the VIP member end of year event than ever before. Granted the sales were not incredible as that is not up to local management.

Just like field and stream the employees are usually upset when admin makes boneheaded decisions, it's sad but it's life.

$51.99 for a lb of H1000 at cabelas Canada. Never shop there. It's basically a 75,000 sqft clothing store. Cheaper options out there and support the smaller guy who actually cares about customers.

For their credit as of 2 weeks ago my local store still has a bargain cave. It is far too organized now so you don't get the incredible deals you could find stuck in a corner but it is still there.

I also talked to management this year and they said bass pro gave them more money for the VIP member end of year event than ever before. Granted the sales were not incredible as that is not up to local management.

Just like field and stream the employees are usually upset when admin makes boneheaded decisions, it's sad but it's life.

Surprised to hear that-- its gone at the Allen TX store and at Fort Worth-- the rumor was that Fort Worth was so ****ed at the decision instead of selling the stuff off they shipped it all back to Bass Pro (at BP dime)-- supposedly there will be one big outlet store at BPS HQ.

My local store has become a joke, and I USED to be a very strong Cabelas supporter.
I bought a rifle from them, but had to go to their competitor to get the freakin scope rings for a Savage rifle!
Then, I went to get ammo and it was nearly the same thing- I think they had one box out of a possible 4-5 different brands that had spots on the shelf.
This was in the winter, not prime time.
This past fall, they ran out of all popular ammo right away and didnt restock until just a few weeks ago.
It seems like any more, whatever it is that I want- they are out of stock.
Like I said- I USED to really like Cabelas.

Sounds like they're consistent anyway. Went to buy 30mm scope rings. Was told they don't carry them and they'd be special order. Then the person tells me they won't order them. I said "special order "? You sell scopes with 30 mm tubes but don't carry 30 mm rings? Haven't gone back to the gun counter since.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.