Cabela's rant

I used to order lots of supplies from Cabela`s & Bass pro both, when they were only out of state & I didn't have to pay Kansas inflated sales tax! When they opened stores here & I started having to pay 10+% sales tax I cut way back on my purchases! Now since the buy out both places seem to have very few items in stock that I`m looking for.
& if they have it its way over priced! Thank Goodness a Scheels came to town, their powder is consistently $10 bucks a lb cheaper, & they have a great selection of items a hunter-shooter needs! The Cabela`s, Bass Pro buy out & their prices made it easy for me to become & Scheels customer.

I rarely go to Cabela's but drive by one often in southern Michigan, Dundee. I do have some gift cards that I received. I have been looking on line to spend them and have a hard time even spending them with the prices. Oh well, will have to buy something before they close...

I loved Cabelas, with gift cards and couponing I made some incredible deals on guns, safes, scopes. Bass pro bought it purely to nuke it IMO and man they are getting it done. Ill still find a random decent deal but nothing like in the past.

I also have already been lied to and screwed by the Capitol one club transition. I sent a strongly worded letter (sure that did a lot of good :rolleyes:) explaining they had lost my credit business and why it seems from speaking with other this is not one off. I personally know of aroung 100k a year in credit usage that has ended since the purchase.

Good riddance , Cabelas. I stopped spending $$ there years ago. Also, Little Dicks.
Brownells and sometimes Sportsman's Warehouse gets my business. Cabela's has lost thousands of my dollars. Won't be missed.

When I got the notice last year that they were eliminating the Cabelas Visa Card and forcing us to go with another card I didn't want I spent my $100 I had in points as soon as there was a sale on a couple things I wanted along with free shipping. As soon as the items came and were okay I called and cancelled my card and told them I would never buy another product of any type from them. I now use my Amazon Chase card for everything every month and with their points system have already built up several hundred dollars that I can spend on anything my heart desires. From reading other forums I'd guess that this Bass Pro buyout has cost them thousands of long time Cabelas customers such as myself along with millions of dollars in sales and CC usage.

Last edited:
I grew up looking through the Cabela's catalog making wish lists. Ordered stuff from there when I started reloading 20yrs ago. It's just sad to see what used to be a great outdoors company turning into what it is. We've lost a lot of sporting goods stores in our area over the last few years, even if some of them are still open.

Glad there is mainly Scheels here.
I visit Cabelas every once in a while while on trips to other states.

Bargain Cave was the mail place I go thru.
Looks like that isnt going to be the case anymore.
Sad to see them go

The last time I went to Cabela's I did not find anything I was looking for in the shooting/ hunting area. The inventory looked thin. I did buy some wool socks that were on sale so I guess it wasn't a completely wasted trip. This was in the Gonzales Louisiana store.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.