Cabelas Alaskan Guide Tents

gunaddict

Any of you guys using the Cabelas Alaskan Guide Geodesic Tents? Thinking about buying one next month. Mainly long weekend camping and hunting use. Blacktail deer hunting around 4000ft, and over in the high desert and mountains in Eastern Oregon, and elk hunting. Lots of rain, and some snow. I thought about a wall tent but will mainly be used for 2 people. Looking at the 4 man and 6 man.
Any pro's or con's with this tent? Thanks Todd

Well, you certainly won't be backpacking with a tent that weighs as much as those do. Those are incredibly high weights. And, you cannot put the all important wood stove in there. There are some much lighter, just as roomy if not more so, well ventilated tents out there that use very lightweight, collapsible woodstoves that will be much more comfortable and functional in the long run. You could probably find a better, lighter tent from one of the top outdoor companies (I wouldn't include Cabela's in this list--they've just done a very good job marketing to hunters, but often have far from the best products) for not much more money.

We've never used the Cabelas tents but we've always had very good luck with the white canvas wall tents from Denver Tent Company. They are heavy and you'll need a horse or vehicle to carry them but they are the thing to use if you're going to spend weeks in the Rocky Mountains or the like. We've had ours for 15 years or so and have had not trouble with it. It is a 16'x20' , which works well for 4 hunters, but they come in all sizes.

Cabelas is nice (when the store itself is 2 miles from my house) but I adamately agree, they do a heck of a marketing job but there are better alternatives out there...

From what I see (in the store at least), it's all about yuppie shoppers that don't have a clue but have large wallets and purses......

Having said that, I do some seriuos shopping in the store itself but carefully. Loys of times I use the store to get an idea of what I want or need and get it elsewhere, usuially, on line.

Far as the guns go, nice selection that I can physically handle and then go buy them elsewhere. Cabelas is just too expensive for firearms and especially ammunition, unless of course I have enough bonus points and then I use them for the purchase.

We've never used the Cabelas tents but we've always had very good luck with the white canvas wall tents from Denver Tent Company. They are heavy and you'll need a horse or vehicle to carry them but they are the thing to use if you're going to spend weeks in the Rocky Mountains or the like. We've had ours for 15 years or so and have had not trouble with it. It is a 16'x20' , which works well for 4 hunters, but they come in all sizes.

Yep, with the weight of the Cabelas tent you are looking at, if you are horsing or hunting from a vehicle, consider a wall tent, etc. but something you can put a wood stove in! Makes all the difference in the world. If on foot or wanting to go light with pack critters and still have a stove and a fairly roomy tent, there's several lightweight tipi style tent manufacturers, the designs of which can incorporate very lightweight collapsible stoves that completely change your outlook on lightweight comfortable camping in colder weather.

Haven't used the Alaskan Guide, but have the Alaknak in 12 X12. It handles 3 people and gear with lots of move around room. Set up, including the vestibule takes two of us about 15 minutes, putting the wood stove in takes another 5. I've used it in snow, rain, high winds and sunny weather. No leaks, easy care, comfortable lodging.

That wood stove on cold snowy nights makes all the difference in the world. Only problem is, if you don't load the stove and shut down the dampers, there is an argument over who gets out of their warm sleeping bag to start the fire in the morning.

No, your not going to back pack this one in either.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.