Buying on Ebay

alremkin

I'm looking for a Zeiss 3.5x10x44 scope for my new 338/378 on Ebay. I wonder if anyone here has any advice about buying a scope there?

check the sellers rating, make sure they are in the USA. see their feedback, if any negitives and how much shipping is. you might be thinking your getting a heck of a deal, but when shipping turns out to be $50 your gunna be upset. i wouldnt be buying anything overseas, i got lucky when buying 7pairs of zeiss westpoint charlie binoculars, but wont take the risk again. good luck to you

JM's advice is right on. Also look at the sellers # of transactions, and see if their feedback is as a seller. I purchased that exact scope, a Conquest 3.5-10x44 Z-plex from a seller named elkhunter777. It was new in the box with all the paperwork, just as advertised. I never did end up using that scope. If you want to make an offer on it PM me. Otherwise I suggest you see what elkhunter777 has for sale.

good luck

I've purchased several scopes on eBay - some from folks that are mostly buyers. I think it's the best place to get a good deal on a slightly used scope.
An experienced seller should know how to pack it - but I've got other items poorly packed (micrometers)

All good advice, I might add always try to buy something expensive like that with paypal, or at least a credit card. That way if someting goes wrong you have some recource.

Never send a check or money order!!!

i have been doing ebay for some time now. when i sell something i will only except a MO.. but when your selling you must accept the fact most people dont have the cash right there to spend, so they put it on their credit card.. checks are no good to me, ill toss one out before i take her to the bank. paypal is great for your late night auction winnings, pay for her as soon as she ends, and hopfully your seller is watching and will ship out next day. electronic money still bothers me anyways. just keep your head up about it, if something doesnt seem right, dont bid.. there will always be another one..

I'll second what trader338 said. I've bought from elkhunter777 also, anyone with nearly 5000 feedback and 99.9% positive must be doing something right.

Like stated above just keep your head about you on ebay.

I bought from elkhunter777 as well. Smooth transaction. After the purchase I learned that I could have gotten the same deal from Jim? at Q optics, who I first "met" on this board.

Hm, well it looks like there's consensus on this site, "elkhunter777" is the Ebay man. And coincidence as well, because just today I've exchanged several emails with him sorting out the details of shiping to Canada, where I reside. The 3.5x10x44 Zeiss seems to meet the criteria fiftydriver mentioned on a light scope mounted on Burris double dovetail bases and Signature rings. Since my Rifle is waiting my passing the Acquisition course, I have plenty of time to look for a good price and I've noticed his are pretty good. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this consensus has occured, given that we share these common interests, but still I was a little surprised to see elkhunter777's name come up so much here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

One thing I do in addition to the other advice you've received is that I frequent forums such as these, and look for the same username. You'll usually find something on a bad seller who has screwed someone over in the past. They usually stick out like a sore thumb. BTW, I've bought a few scopes off of Ebay with no problems. Good luck.

This is a bit long, but I hope you find it worthwhile.

I have 100 transactions on ebay and a 100% feedback rating as both a buyer and seller. I probably about half as many transactions with people I've met through ebay and except for 1 or 2 items, which I was made whole on, everything I bought was better quality than retail. And the service is exceptional, when compared to retailers. Ebayers and guys like Jon at Q Optics understand the value of word of mouth and good feedback.

I do a lot of research if I'm buying a big ticket item. Checking feedback is good, but also check what the seller has bought or sold. The same goes for Gunbroker. If he/she just bought the scope or gun, why are they selling it?? Sometimes their buying and selling history doesn't match their "story". I wish ebay would keep a better history of these transactions so I can tell if someone deals mostly in toy kazoos or if they sell the big ticket items.

Someone mentioned checking forums like these and that's a great idea, also check vise versa. I was on archeryworld.com and a user was selling Matthews bows. The story was that her husband was ill and closing the store. These were just a few of the bows left. I asked a few questions and became suspicious, then I asked for some pictures. Once I had the pictures, I did a search on ebay and found identical pictures of these items. The goof ball copied and pasted pictures from ebay and was passing them off as items he/she had for sale. I asked for a picture of another item "she" was selling and bingo a different ebay picture was sent to me. Ebay is a great research tool in many ways.

I had the seller's "address" and "she" was asking for a Western Union transfer (big red flag here). Also, "she" resides in Florida (credit card fraud capital of the world!). Next, it was off to switchboard.com to check out her name and see if I can find an address. Not everyone is on there and you won't find my name, but almost all businesses can be found there. She wasn't and that was the icing on the cake.

I don't want to make anyone paranoid. Just do some quick homework and you should be ok. I've ordered stuff on ebay without any homework and other items I've researched, but I've never been burned on there.

[ QUOTE ]
checks are no good to me, ill toss one out before i take her to the bank.

[/ QUOTE ]

Y? I hate checks, but take them and don't ship until the check has cleared + 5 day penality /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif IMAO, u limit yourself too much by such a rigid policy. For folks who only take MO's, I give them two middle fingers up and take my bussiness elsewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.