Bushnell 4200 4-16X40 with raing guard - opinions please.

tylercleary

Hi everyone, this is my first post at this site but I've been coming here for a while reading all of the posts. I am posting this here because I have come to value many of the opinions and experience of its members.

I'm looking at replacing the scope on my 300 Win Mag. The rifle is a Remington bdl laminated stainless, left hand (terrible affliction for shooters). The scope I'm looking to buy is the Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16X40. I live and hunt in Oregon, and the rain guard coating is very appealing - there is always a time during my hunt that my scope gets wet before I'm ready to put my covers back on. Additionally, the glass in these scopes are very good, as I'm sure many of you know. The other feature of these scopes I like is the short target turrets. This is a walking hunting rifle but would like to take advantage of a scope that can offer adjustable and repeatable clicks to take longer shots.

So, my question is how durable are these scopes? I've seen lots of posting praising their glass but really don't know how well they hold up over the long haul? Now keep in mind this is a hunting rifle and not a tactical rifle. The rain guard and power is the big attraction. I've looked at 5.5-16 Monarchs but feel the lower power setting is a little on the high side.

I'm open to opinions.

Tyler

okokdude, I have another 2-3 weeks to wait before the Bushnell 4200 4-16x40 that I mail ordered arrives.

Although I have read numerous articles about them, I have not handled or looked through one, so it is reassuring to hear from someone who owns not one but three.

The 4200 will be replacing a Tasco MagIV 4-16x50, on a custom 25/06 AI rifle, that currently weighs about 8.5 lbs. Ideally I would have preferred the scope to be about 1-2 inches shorter and 2 ounces lighter, but time will tell whether it really is an issue. A Leopold VX111 4.5-14x40 would have cost at least $AUS400 more. Regards, Brian.

TAC, welcome to the board.
I own 2 of the older B&L Elite 4000 scopes in 4-16x50. Will never buy another one.
At the time of purchase they were all I could afford. At the range I noticed on my 22-250 that the scope wasn't repeatable in elevation.
After putting up with that for awhile, looked at Leupold and then realized how thick the Elite "fine" crosshairs were. The Leupold was a brighter scope also. So I ended up buying 2 LR Leupolds to replace the Elite's. For now, one of the Elite scopes is on a 222 where I don't need to adjust elevation.
Will the Elite 4200 scopes work? Sure they will. Especially if you can't afford better optics.
As a photographer I'll pay top dollar for my Nikkor lenses and should have known better that you get what you pay for with glass.

The 4200 is a better scope than the older BL4000 scopes
I also have several black diamond scopes a few schmit benders - Zeiss scopes -leupold- nikon the 4200 is the best buy for the money i will take one over a leupold any day of the week
shon

Thanks guys for your input. I finely figured out the search engine (you'd think I'm a newbie) and looked at all the posts about the 4200 that came before me… I see this has been done many times before, so I'm glad for the input. I swear I'm slightly schizophrenic… I was solidly on this scope yesterday and yet today I'm looking at the Burris signature 4-16. I want it by spring, so I guess I still have a little time to decide.

Thanks

TAC

I have owned on of the older versions which was B&L then and have kicked myself in the but for getting rid of it a blue million times! It was brighter than the leopolds I looked through when I was scope hunting and more affordable too! The burris is also a very great scope from what I read but I dont own one YET. I would go with the black diamond version if the funds were available for it due to the side focus but thats my opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jimm, that a good question, I have never tested one myself but have read reviews saying it does work well. I've seen Bausch and Lomb scopes with the "rain guard" coating, so can only conclude that they developed and patented it… I'm sure you know the rest of that story.

I see I can buy a 4-16x40 for $319.00 but I also see they make a 4-16x50… Is it worth the extra hundred bucks for the 50mm?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.