Bushnell 4200

barm

How does the Bushnell 4200 stack up against the Zeiss Conquest, Leupold VX-III, and the Nikon Monarch? I once owned a Bushnell 3200 4-12x40 and I was disappointed with the image. It was not bright and the resolution was poor. Is the 4200 a completely different "animal"?

I personally think that the Bushnell Elite 4200 is a much better scope than the Elite 3200. Two main problems with the Elite 4200's, depending on which scope, is typically they are very long and very short on eye relief. I think that the Zeiss Conquest and Nikon Monarch are better scopes than the Elite 4200.

Yes, the 4200 is completely different and some of the best glass you are likely to look through.

Compared to the Monarch, I find the Elite a much wider apparent field of view. Both have excellent glass. I own several 6X24 mil dots on my target rifles and love them.

I also use them on my LR hunting rifles and let me see at any 'legal' hunting light. Excellent low light performance.

Only downside is their limited elevation adjustment. That is why I only use the mil dot versions. I can 'gain' more elevation by shimming the scopes and using the dots.

mechanically, the Elites are also top drawer. Repeatable adjustments and they do hold their POI even on muzzle braked cannons.

Way better value then the Luppies.

Sightron seems to have a pretty good reputation too so might try a few just for S&G's.

Jerry

Jon, I have had a 4200 Elite 4-16x50, and 6-24x40 for about 1 year, so it is a bit early for me to make a definitive assessment about them. However, like Jerry Teo in the post above, I love the optics, and believe that they are excellent value for money.

So far the tracking has been reliable, and there has been no point of impact changes. However, I do wish that both scopes were a bit shorter and lighter, and had more vertical adjustment, but I knew these dimensions before I bought them.

I recently noted on the Bushnell website at this link, http://www.bushnell.com/products/riflescopes/specs/42-6242p.cfm
that Bushnell has released a new 4200 6-24x40 model (42-6242P) with side focus. This model weighs 17.6 ounces, is 13 inches in length, eye relief of 4.6 inches, and has 40 inches of adjustment.

Yesterday, when asking about the new Bushnell model, a local gunshop employee (in South Oz) mentioned to me that the reliability of the mechanics (cam gear) used in the side focus was a concern, and that he would recommend using the adjustable objective focus in all but the most expensive scopes.

I realise that it is very early to make an assessment of the scope, but after reading many of your posts in forums, I value your opinion, and wondered if you have made an assessment of this new model. Also, are you able to sell and ship scopes to Oz?
Ps: Tomorrow after chronographing the Wildcats in my 257W, I hope to set up a target at 300 yards, set each scope on 12x, focus them, and then compare the optics of my Nightforce 8-32x56, Kahles 3-12x56, my two 4200 models mentioned above, and an old Tasco MagIV 4-16x50. Is that a realistic way of comparing the optics of these scopes?
Regards, Brian.

John and Jerry, thank you for your input on the Bushnell 4200.

Brian,
I look forward to hearing about your comparison of the scopes, especially in terms of resolution.

I have an early production side focus 6X24. The mechanicals are identical to the AO version. Sorry, I can only get 26 to 30min of elevation change, not the 40 I was hoping for. Maybe more early production ooops.

The side focus does work and is quite accurate re: yardage markings.

It looks like the same scope chassis as the 2.5X10 with the 6X24 eyepiece and a side focus knob. Very compact, a bit heavy but works great on a short action Savage.

The view in the scope is pretty much the same as the mildot AO scope.

Now the bad news. Optics are clear but there is some serious distortion when you pan, especially at low mag. This is not present in the AO version and I really hope just an early production oops.

This scope is going back for a once over after hunting season.

If you hold the scope still, the image is just fine but follow something and yikes, feel like you have had a few too many.

I haven't had time to really test the mechanicals but it seems to be holding zero and adjusts reliably the few times I practised with it.

If the optics can be fixed, this is a winner for sure. A great LR scope.

They also now have a 3X9 with is 12 or 13oz with a duplex reticle. Doubt it has target turrents but would make a great reg. hunting rifle.

If only Bushnell would get more elevation into their scopes or better yet, build a 30mm mildot tactical featured scope. Sort of their 3200 10X with 4200 optics - variable or a fixed 16X.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.