Burris XTR III

OLI62

Seeing if anybody's laid hands on one of these yet? Impressions? It's supposed to be a marked improvement over the XTR II and is getting some good feedback on other forums. Made in the U.S. too.

I have one (5-25) on a 6.5-300. Haven't played with the scope much yet other than initial zero and some tracking tests but first impressions are:
- subjective but, it looks tacti-cool
- it's huge
- heavy
- glass is good but not great
- illuminated reticle is good but a little "busy" for my liking
- tracks well
- for the massive size and weight, wish they would have gone with larger objective to go with larger tube
- good scope for the price when these were on fire sale
- worth mentioning again...it's heeeeavy

I have one (5-25) on a 6.5-300. Haven't played with the scope much yet other than initial zero and some tracking tests but first impressions are:
- subjective but, it looks tacti-cool
- it's huge
- heavy
- glass is good but not great
- illuminated reticle is good but a little "busy" for my liking
- tracks well
- for the massive size and weight, wish they would have gone with larger objective to go with larger tube
- good scope for the price when these were on fire sale
- worth mentioning again...it's heeeeavy

Are you talking about the ii or the iii? the iii is 5.5-30x, has a 56mm objective (are any other makers' larger?) and is 32 ounces - pretty light compared to say the Vortex Razor HD II at 48 ounces or the Nightforce ATACR at 38 ounces. Since the iii just came out, not sure there have been any fire sales yet.

To the OP, also hoping to see some first hand feedback.

He must have the xtr2. The 3 doesn't have illumined reticle yet. Ive heard great things from match shooters I know. Report so far is glass is as good as a gen2 razor, tracking perfectly, fairly lightweight for a scope of this magnification and type.

I have a 3.3-18 xtr3 with the scr2 mil reticle, I like the scope, replaced a NF nx8 4-32x50 with it. Much easier to get behind the Burris, lot more forgiving eyebox and parallax. Clicks are good and solid.

Attachments

• IMG_20191022_091421.jpg
    IMG_20191022_091421.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 192
Just an update.......I REALLY liked everything about this scope, unfortunately already had to return it to Burris. Reticle was moving when indexing the power ring between +-. Scope was on a 7.8# braked 300 norma improved. I suspect the high recoil pulse and brake affect jarred something loose internally.
Bummer.......I'll probably be selling after it's repaired, maybe I'll try it on a lighter recoil setup.

I know this thread is old but wondering if you ended up keeping the scope after it was repaired? Cameraland has them at a really good price and it's the last of the Greenly made scopes before they move the illuminated model to the Philippines to be assembled.

They replaced the scope not repaired. Yes i kept it, in the few years after that went by, acquired a few more xtr3s. Now I have all 3 listed for sale currently.