Burris XTR II 5-25 FFP/MOA vs ???

jtbiv01

looking for a FFP/MOA scope for a LR .280ai. Wanted a Leupold, but haven't found anything in the LRP line that compares. Any recommendations?

I have the Burris XTR II, 4x20 FFP/MOA on a long range 300 Win Mag. I don't like the scope but it is holding zero well & the adjustments seem to be working just fine. My next scope will be Leupold as I am getting another 300 Win Mag that is a bit lighter for black bear hunting. Probably will go with the new Leupold 5HD-3x15! The more I try other scopes the more I love Leupold. Tried the Vortex PST/FFP & i would'nt put one of the on a Red Ryder BB gun. Absolute junk.
Thanks, Kirk

The only downside to the xtr 2 is weight, it's definitely one of the best scopes of that type in it's price range. The veracity has the same glass, bit a smaller tube and weighs around 4-5 oz less on average. Cheaper also, 5-25 can be had for $700 or so.

I have a veracity 5-25 on a prairie dog rifle and a buddy has a XTRII 4-20 on a 300 win mag he uses exclusively for targets. The scopes track and function well but the glass quality is lacking, they're just not very good optically. I'm building a 300 win mag right now for a long range elk rifle and I'm probably going to go with a VX-6HD 3-18. It's the only thing out there that I can find with the features I want and doesn't weigh a ton.

Some might not mind the low quality glass on the burris but I've had a couple of last light situations where good glass saved my bacon. It's got to be at least decent for me to put it on a hunting rifle. A prairie dog rifle is different and I'll deal with lesser glass on one of them.

I have a veracity 5-25 on a prairie dog rifle and a buddy has a XTRII 4-20 on a 300 win mag he uses exclusively for targets. The scopes track and function well but the glass quality is lacking, they're just not very good optically. I'm building a 300 win mag right now for a long range elk rifle and I'm probably going to go with a VX-6HD 3-18. It's the only thing out there that I can find with the features I want and doesn't weigh a ton.

Some might not mind the low quality glass on the burris but I've had a couple of last light situations where good glass saved my bacon. It's got to be at least decent for me to put it on a hunting rifle. A prairie dog rifle is different and I'll deal with lesser glass on one of them.
You're comparing a $1700 scope to $700-$1000 scopes, of course it's going to have better glass.

I've got several scopes that cost less than the burris with much better glass so it's not really a given. The burris does have a good feature set but the glass quality will keep it from being on top of a lot of hunting rifles.

That $1700 Leupold can be bought for $1300 with a bit of shopping so the delta isn't quite as great.

I'm not usually a glass snob, but the glass in the Burris is pretty much coke bottle grade, they really cut corners there. $700-1000 isn't exactly cheap and you should expect better for that kind of money.

I have the Burris XTR II, 4x20 FFP/MOA on a long range 300 Win Mag. I don't like the scope but it is holding zero well & the adjustments seem to be working just fine. My next scope will be Leupold as I am getting another 300 Win Mag that is a bit lighter for black bear hunting. Probably will go with the new Leupold 5HD-3x15! The more I try other scopes the more I love Leupold. Tried the Vortex PST/FFP & i would'nt put one of the on a Red Ryder BB gun. Absolute junk.
Thanks, Kirk

Kirk,

Have you run any Leupolds in the 20-24x magnification range? Gonna shoot more targets with this one than game. Always hoping a hunt will come along though!

I've got several scopes that cost less than the burris with much better glass so it's not really a given. The burris does have a good feature set but the glass quality will keep it from being on top of a lot of hunting rifles.

That $1700 Leupold can be bought for $1300 with a bit of shopping so the delta isn't quite as great.

I'm not usually a glass snob, but the glass in the Burris is pretty much coke bottle grade, they really cut corners there. $700-1000 isn't exactly cheap and you should expect better for that kind of money.
I wonder if there is something wrong with yours, I have a couple Vercity scopes and an XTR II, and several VX3i's. To my eyes they are vary comparable, certainly not "coke bottle grade". I Don't own a vx6 yet, waiting for confirmation that they track better than the previous gen's.

Spend a couple hundred more and avoid this conversation. The "new Leuopld LRP or whatever its called is a VX3i with a retarded turret.

I have a 4-20 XTR2 on my new (this passed summer) build, a 6x47L. I do like almost everything about it. It is heavy, built like a tank, & like others have said, the glass i lacking in the clarity department..... Not horrible, but, not as clear ( especially at higher power) . Now, granted, I'm comparing to my older NF NXS 5.5-22, which basically cost twice as much. Some say their XTR2's are clear, others not so much. I don't know if mine & others could go back to Burris for repair or replacement. My neighbor & shooting/hunting partner who has been shooting some PRS style shoots this past year, says there are quite a few XTR2's being used in this competition. If it were me now, I'd go with the 5-25 XTR2, scr-moa, that way if needed, you can turn power down a bit to a clearer view, & still have 20x to use. Just my $0.02 worth. Idaho-5R

looking for a FFP/MOA scope for a LR .280ai. Wanted a Leupold, but haven't found anything in the LRP line that compares. Any recommendations?

How much are you looking to spend? IMO the absolute best FFP/MOA scope for all applications is the Vortex Razor AMG. It has stunningly clear glass, excellent reticles, and precise turrets. Plus, it's under 30 oz.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts