Bullets

twarren

If you have three bullets, same weight ,hollow point, boat tail
Barnes, Sierra, and Swift which would be the better bullet.
For hunting deer, Elk, Antelope, All around use.
As far as killing power.

Last edited:
Barnes in appropriate caliber for the game. I like the LRX's best. They have good BC, accurate, open quick, always hold together and have lowest expansion velocity of all the Barnes. But I am being picky; all Barnes styles have worked well for me. I also suggest one weight lower than you'd use on a cup and core, bullet.

If you have three bullets, same weight ,hollow point, boat tail
Barnes, Sierra, and Swift which would be the better bullet.
For hunting deer, Elk, Antelope, All around use.
As far as killing power.
Hollow points for varmints and target shooting is what I have always heard and tipped bullets more or less for bigger game.

I switched to Barnes in my 300 Weatherby for an African hunt in 2002 with the blue coated 180 grain TSX before the grooves were added. Harvested Blue Wildebeest, Greater Kudu, Oryx and many Springbok for a culling effort. All one shot and done. Switched to the uncoated grooved TSX and TTSX when they came out and found the 150 grain very effective on large 200 + pound deer and bears and also on Dall Sheep in Alaska. Furthest harvest so far is 550 yards on a deer with 150 grain TSX or TTSX I don't recall which. Have been using 150 grain TSX for the past dozen or more years on everything. May switch to 180 TSX or TTSX when the game might exceed 400 pounds. I have recovered a couple bullets from full length body shots. Penetration 2 feet or more perfect text book mushroom and hardly any bullet weight loss. So yes I will stay with Barnes all copper. What's not to like? No lead fragments or meat smeared with lead, deep penetration due to no fragmentation. One and done.

Assuming that the bullet is at it's reliable expansion velocity at the time of impact…..the Barnes "hands-down"! From literally at the muzzle to the end of it's expansion velocity window….it will work quite well!

Having used them exclusively since the early '90's, we prefer the TTSX's. Though, I hope to try the LRX's in my rifle some day! memtb