bullets similar to accubonds?

You are shooting a 7-08. You can get great bullet performance from a 140 sierra or 139 hdy interlock on deer. Heck, even in my big 7's I often shoot deer with the sierra 140. It flattens them good launched from a 7rum at 3500 fps.

If you can't find any bullets and decide on the sierras, p.m. me as I am not currently shooting them and have 700-800 on the shelf. Others in my family are using them though so I won't part with all of them.

These are not like an Accubond, but in a good way.....Try the Berger 140 VLD's? You might like them. I use the 7mm 168 VLD's in my 7mm RemMag for whitetails. Hits them like a lightning bolt.

Thanks guys...I did look at the 120 NBT but the lighter weight and rapid expansion for both ballistic tips and rapid expansion for VLDS makes my wife hesitant. She wants bullets that will ensure passthroughs even on heavy shoulder bone shots or quartering shots. She had an incident qhere the bullet didn't exit. The deer ran only 50 yards and died inside a large bush. There was ZERO blood trail and we almost walked right by the deer. We had thought she missed. So now she wants passthroughs to help create better blood trails. You know the saying...happy wife happy life. Personally I love the accubonds an that is what I use in every rifle. I can't believe how hard it is to find the 7mm 140s though AND we have not even tested them in her rifle to see how well they shoot so I'm looking for a backup bullet just in case.

Thanks guys...I did look at the 120 NBT but the lighter weight and rapid expansion for both ballistic tips and rapid expansion for VLDS makes my wife hesitant. She wants bullets that will ensure passthroughs even on heavy shoulder bone shots or quartering shots. She had an incident qhere the bullet didn't exit. The deer ran only 50 yards and died inside a large bush. There was ZERO blood trail and we almost walked right by the deer. We had thought she missed. So now she wants passthroughs to help create better blood trails. You know the saying...happy wife happy life. Personally I love the accubonds an that is what I use in every rifle. I can't believe how hard it is to find the 7mm 140s though AND we have not even tested them in her rifle to see how well they shoot so I'm looking for a backup bullet just in case.
Stick with the interbond then. I've gotten good pass throughs on shoulder shots on big hogs with them numerous times back when I was shooting them at 400yds plus in my 7mm Rem Mag.

Bullets that are designed to exert most of it's energy on the 1st 4-6" of impact does not need pass through when hit in the boiler area to be effective. This type of bullet has another advantage that is often overlooked; reduces/no risk of shooting/injuring another game behind the target.

I have gotten pass through (blew both lungs) using 180 grains NBT out my .300 Win Mag on a muley buck at 400 yards.

Bullets that are designed to exert most of it's energy on the 1st 4-6" of impact does not need pass through when hit in the boiler area to be effective. This type of bullet has another advantage that is often overlooked; reduces/no risk of shooting/injuring another game behind the target.

I have gotten pass through (blew both lungs) using 180 grains NBT out my .300 Win Mag on a muley buck at 400 yards.

This is very true but we really hunt some really thick areas and a heavy blood trail is very desirable. That story I told above is an exact example...that was a nice boiler room shot...both lungs were moosh and bullet was recovered in offside shoulder. I can't even believe he made it 50 yards. She is very used to deer dropping right where she hits them. But this case it bolted and died in a bush. If it wasn't for our nephew seeing a faint white spot in a bush on the way out we would have lost that buck.

This is very true but we really hunt some really thick areas and a heavy blood trail is very desirable. That story I told above is an exact example...that was a nice boiler room shot...both lungs were moosh and bullet was recovered in offside shoulder. I can't even believe he made it 50 yards. She is very used to deer dropping right where she hits them. But this case it bolted and died in a bush. If it wasn't for our nephew seeing a faint white spot in a bush on the way out we would have lost that buck.

Game expires differently and we can't have all DRTs with one shot all the time, let's face it , it happens even with our best intentions.

IMHO, you have been provided with very good alternatives to choose from. Pick the best bullet you think is best suited for your situation and face the consequences associated with that decision and press on. Good luck!

Game expires differently and we can't have all DRTs with one shot all the time, let's face it , it happens even with our best intentions.

IMHO, you have been provided with very good alternatives to choose from. Pick the best bullet you think is best suited for your situation and face the consequences associated with that decision and press on. Good luck!

Thank you and yes I have chosen other bullets based on this. I was just stating the reasons why she wanted a bullet to ensure passthroughs and not ones that do not and exert all the energy in the game. Thank you for the advice

Thank you and yes I have chosen other bullets based on this. I was just stating the reasons why she wanted a bullet to ensure passthroughs and not ones that do not and exert all the energy in the game. Thank you for the advice

I'm trying to remember which member said it but "a pass through is a wasted energy". :Dlightbulbgun)

ADDED:

Found one ...

I've always preferred the 165 grain boat-tail over the 150's or 180's. With bear you don't want complete penetration, you want an extensive wound channel. A bears lungs were compared to Goodyear Double Eagle tires as in they are both self sealing when punctured. You need tissue damage - not a small wound channel. Also remember, a bullet that passes through ANY animal carries a lot of wasted energy with it. The ideal load will leave the bullet under the skin on the off-side of your target. Great hunting to you!

I don't know if you can find them, but a nosler partition is a very good bullet for the performance you want. They may be on shooters pro shop also.
as of right now they have the 7mm Etip available. the have 36 units for sale.

I'm trying to remember which member said it but "a pass through is a wasted energy". :Dlightbulbgun)

ADDED:

Found one ...

Understood but it also leads to another exit wound for blood to come out of for trailing and after this last experience my wife wants the blood trail and could care less about all the bullets energy in the deer.

lightbulbYou might want to re-visit kinetic bullet energy and energy transfer! lightbulb

Bullet Energy Transfer and Wounding Mechanisms

I almost stopped reading when I saw the author :D

A big component of exit vs not exit is range. Not to mention what is hit (bone vs tissue through the lungs). I care a lot about a bullet that reliably performs across a wide range of velocities than "energy dump" or exits.

lightbulbYou might want to re-visit kinetic bullet energy and energy transfer! lightbulb

Bullet Energy Transfer and Wounding Mechanisms

Thanks. I have read that before and I get it. Personally I could care less as I have shot over 30 deer with accubonds and not one lost or failure. Some have been great shots while others not so much. Two have been shots from the deer facing me dead on...went in chest and exited other back end in both cases. None ran further than 50 yards with 90% being either DRT or within 10 yards. I love accubonds. I just have a hard time finding them for my wife's rifle and also would like another test bullet. She wants a blood trail so I will give it to her. No matter what bullet she uses will lead to a dead deer as I am confident with her shooting skills but if she wants to make a shoulder shot or hard quartering shot at 200 yards and still wants passthroughs it seems accubonds, partitions, interbonds...etc are the way to go. Thanks for your insight though

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.