Bullet weight variation per box 180gr +/-

RobStar

I searched and did not find anything on this topic but it must be here someplace.

As a new reloader the importance of consistency has been drilled into me by pretty much everyone and everything I read.

Today while pondering yesterday's groups, notes and next steps I started weighing my Barnes 180gr TTSX bullets. Out of the 100 only 44 actually weighed 180.0 gr. The rest varied from 178.9 up to 180.7; nearly two grains.

Granted my shooting and beginner reloading skills introduce more variable than this minuscule variation but is this a common issue among all manufacturers?

I'd appreciate some insight on this.

Thanks!

~Robert

I haven't used Barnes bullets so I can't comment on what's typical. But I like to see within +/- 0.1 gr on a 180 gr bullet.

I searched and did not find anything on this topic but it must be here someplace.

Robert,

If you do a custom query for "weighing bullets" on the top right hand corner, you'll yield 557 results for your reading pleasure.

Good luck!

Ed

Attachments

• weighing bullets.JPG
    weighing bullets.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 145
  • weighing bullets yield.JPG
    weighing bullets yield.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 140

As a new reloader the importance of consistency has been drilled into me by pretty much everyone and everything I read.

Today while pondering yesterday's groups, notes and next steps I started weighing my Barnes 180gr TTSX bullets. Out of the 100 only 44 actually weighed 180.0 gr. The rest varied from 178.9 up to 180.7; nearly two grains.

Granted my shooting and beginner reloading skills introduce more variable than this minuscule variation but is this a common issue among all manufacturers?

I'd appreciate some insight on this.

Thanks!

~Robert
I would sort those bullets into .3 grain lots . Thats what I usually end up doing with some Hornady bullets.

If those were Berger they would definitely be out of spec.
Mr Eric Stecker stands by his product.

If you do a custom query for "weighing bullets" on the top right hand corner, you'll yield 557 results for your reading pleasure....

Thanks Ed! I appreciate the detailed example.

I have been using the Forum Toolbar search function for well, pretty much everything here. Never even noticed the upper search! lightbulblightbulblightbulb

Thank you! ~Robert

My 180 gr 7mm berger hybrids have always been within a tenth grain. I stopped bothering to weigh/sort them a while ago but i check every now and then, very consistent.

You might confirm Your scale with a known weight if its electronic. They drift sometimes. If its a beam scale its probably weighing consistently if you havent moved it around.

Id find that annoying as well. Not sure it would show up on target but still.

My 180 gr 7mm berger hybrids have always been within a tenth grain. I stopped bothering to weigh/sort them a while ago but i check every now and then, very consistent.

You might confirm Your scale with a known weight if its electronic. They drift sometimes....

That's sort of what I was looking to hear as well, what other brands are like for consistency.

I have an RCBS ChargeMaster scale that I go through the calibration process with every time I turn it on using their 50gr supplied reference weights. I'm not sure what more I could do in that respect but am open to suggestions.

Thanks for chiming in!

~Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.