Bullet runout what is the max?

Gene, an 'ogive' is not a particular place on a bullet nose.
Bart described a place furthest forward on the nose that still provides good readings.
No standard place on the nose is associated with bearing, or even leade contact, as this varies with local factors like leade angle, and ogive radius & type.

Also, ammo axis, to any centerline, really does not correlate directly with TIR.
Runout is not eccentricity. They are different things.

Mike - I agree with only the third line above (i.e., no place on the nose is "bearing" on the lands). Bearing surface relates to the shank end of a bullet. We commonly refer to ogive as the transition point between the shank and curve toware the tip, for lack of better reference. Reading TIR anywhere but on the shank (just behind the transition) can lead to considerable inconsistencies. I don't know of any one who spins a bullet anywhere above this point.

Runout is a misnomer. It does not imply either concentricty nor eccentricity. If runout on the bullet, as spun on the concentricity tool, is very minimal one can assume the neck and bullet are straight and the bullet will be centered when engaged to the bore.

What 'we commonly' do is usually wrong..
The misnomer in cartridge measurement today is CONCENTRICITY.
For example, the Sinclair tool Bart showed is merchandised as a concentricity tool, but it is a runout gauge.
Runout is the sum of all evils, and has nothing to do with any centerline.
It is most useful(moreso than eccentricity), because it's low TIR that implies a quality of 'straightness' in our loaded ammo that typical concentricity gauges(ammo benders) can not. And if you get your ammo straight, it is also then as concentric as you're going to get it(won't even indicate on an ammo bender).

I measure just like Bart(off forward bullet noses) until I'm below 1thou of TIR.
Ammo can be made this well with efforts and a plan to do so.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.