Bullet for .308

I think Nosler has the 308 and 7mm-08 reloading data with 26" barrels which happens....never! Maybe the No. 9 manual has a 24" for the 308 win but still 95% of the rifles and AR are 16-22". Wish they would have tested their data in one of those barrel lengths. I've shot a ton of rounds through my 20" and on avg it loses about 22 fps per inch from a 26". That's a Remington 700 LTR barrel so nothing fancy. I will say it is very accurate and does spit 168 eld-m at 2660's so that's not bad for a 20" barrel. I also don't go over 100% with any handloads. No smashing powder and crimping it in there. 2.800" magazine feed loads.

That's with the 150 Hammer Hunter.

I'll have to pull load data to recall powder info.
I went back and looked at my data, this was with CFE223 powder.

I should also note that my rifle has a cavernous free bore. These are seated at 2.950 and I still can't get close to the lands. This is a factory R700 5R Milspec rifle.

I should also note that my rifle has a cavernous free bore. These are seated at 2.950 and I still can't get close to the lands. This is a factory R700 5R Milspec rifle.
My 700 varmint in 308 has freebore like yours. I'd have to single load or use a long action to even get close to the lands.

My early 90's PSS is the same way. Early on in my reloading career I single loaded it to get close to the lands. After a while I deemed this not practical for it's intended purpose. So I loaded to box mag lengths. I still get sub 1/2 moa with it after 30 years and well over 10k rounds.

I have shot bullets from 120-180gr out of my 3 .308's with 1:10 twist. They all love the 168 gr accubond, and it is an awesome terminal bullet for deer and bear. My fathers .308 likes the 165 gr game king and it has DRT performance as well. For women or kids, I load down with a 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and it does the job.

Honestly almost any bullet will do the job you need done, provided the round is consistently accurate and the shooter takes and ethical shot and makes sure to have proper shot placement. 99% of all bullet failures are not the fault of the bullet but the shooter, and I know this from my own errors.

150g Hornady SP thinks it is a partition

165g Hornady BTSP is fantastic with the 165g flat base version penetrating like a partition.

165g Speer btsp is awesome in a 308 and 30/06, tremendous shock on a deer and hog, and more than adequate penetration

We have shot a bunch of Texas hogs, near and far with Hornady 180g btsp in a 30/06 and they looked like they had been sawed up with a chainsaw. I shoot a 180g Hornady btsp in my '06 with a very hot load of R#22 with a cci 250.

190g Hornady is an elk bullet.

In my custom 308 Krieger 10t with a short freebore Palma Chamber, The 168g Nosler long range accubonds, that I sort by ogive length, seat them very close to the lands, shoot 3/8" groups at 200 yards. In several 308s with the short freebore Palma chamber, these 168 LRAB seated within .003 of the lands shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards or less with several powders, IMR XBR 8208, R#15, IMR 4064, Ball C2, and Varget, Lapua, PMC, and Hertenberger brass.