Bullet failures

I had a buddy put 13 shots of a 175 LRX into a cow elk at 450 yards...he swears the bullets were the problem...We did find cartilage, bone, a tooth, and lots of blood on the ground...which dried up after 1000 yards of tracking at 3 am...definitely a bullet failure.

He would have fired more but his gun jammed. So many bullet failures in one sitting...on a another note I have new hunting partners now. LOL

I've had good and bad experiences with partitions mainly no exit when the shot placement should have one , one of the reasons I shoot monos now I like a entrance and exit no matter how high of impact velocity bone or flesh
It's odd that you wouldn't see exits with the partition since it keeps a solid base even when the front half comes apart.

The stories I have trouble believing are those that say a bullet 'pencilled through' at 15 yards. Just doesn't happen, unless it's a mono with a blocked up cavity, which I did personally witness once.

Cheers.
It happens to me. 12yds on a dall ram. 150gr Nosler BT fired from 280 RCBS Imp. Broadside profile. Dead centered thru the ribs.

I've described it in detail a few times on this Forum over the years. I have no trouble believing.

It happens to me. 12yds on a dall ram. 150gr Nosler BT fired from 280 RCBS Imp. Broadside profile. Dead centered thru the ribs.

I've described it in detail a few times on this Forum over the years. I have no trouble believing.
aint it funny how the 120 and 140 BT are so explosive but the 150 is a totally different animal. i have shot all three over the years in a 280 rem and 284 win

aint it funny how the 120 and 140 BT are so explosive but the 150 is a totally different animal. i have shot all three over the years in a 280 rem and 284 win
I wonder if they beefed up the jackets on those for 7mm RM and 7 RUM.

I have seen the 140NBT do some crazy stuff Myself I had better luck with the 120 The 150 is my choice in my 7-08 perfect mushrooms every time and the bullet just under the hide on the off side

It's odd that you wouldn't see exits with the partition since it keeps a solid base even when the front half comes apart.
Your so right my daughter in law shot a mule deer at my West Tx ranch with one of my hand loads . The load was a 100 gr partition 257 Robert's never found entry or exit but insides was mush drt . I shot a big whitetail with a 30-338 with a 165 gr part no exit . For the most part I've had more success than failures but prefer a guaranteed exit I get that with Hammers

Many years ago I shot a WT buck 165lb roughly, with a ballistic tip in fed ammo in 270 win 130gr.
Buck fell and got back up running slowly with leg flopping. shot was slightly quartering to me. Aim point was slightly forward of center shoulder @ about 120yds. Trailed buck about 600yds little blood heard him jump up. Dark got me and lack of blood. Two days latter another member on our lease shot same buck and called me. We did autopsy and the ballistic tip hit joint at very bottom of shoulder blade where joins leg and disintegrated mostly. Found a piece of jacket in a rib and the whole shoulder was a meat mess. Nothing we found penetrated into chest past ribs. I did strike about 3" more forward than I was aiming, but had bullet held together he would have been dead.. Hitting that shoulder ball joint and still travel into the vitals would be a tall order for any lead filled bullet on the present market in a 130 grain bullet.
Any bullet though, that hits a big boned barrier like a ball joint is likely to deflect in any unpredictable direction, specially an angle shot as you described. Even a mono metal, partition or bonded. I shot once a whitetail buck at about 110 yards with my .300 wheatherby and 180 grain Hornady inter bonds, under about a 70 degree angle in the shoulder blade. The buck dropped but thrashed around and needed a finisher .22
Skinning him I found the bullet had pulverized the shoulder blade, leaving lots of tiny lead and jacket splinters, but not penetrated into the vitals. I found the rest of the bullet as I recall about 70 grains, under the hide near the base of its ear. Go figure that one. I have found on different times that bullets once they enter, do not always travel in a straight line. Another whitetail buck I shot with my .270 and a Hornady interlock 130 grain bullet at about 60 yards , unfortunately straight into that same ball joint. The buck stood there stunned I guess and against the objection of my friend, shot him again and dropped him. The bullet had pulverized the joint but not penetrated into the chest. Had I not shot quickly again he would have ran of with a broken leg.

I had a buddy put 13 shots of a 175 LRX into a cow elk at 450 yards...he swears the bullets were the problem...We did find cartilage, bone, a tooth, and lots of blood on the ground...which dried up after 1000 yards of tracking at 3 am...definitely a bullet failure.

He would have fired more but his gun jammed. So many bullet failures in one sitting...on a another note I have new hunting partners now. LOL
I want to call BS on this one but I will say if you found teeth he has no business shooting that far