Bullet Construction vs Lethality

Some of this is the reason that my zero is set at 300 yards!

My thought is that: the closer I am to the aiming point at the longest practical distance….the more accurate the shot will be at longer ranges!

However, many do not like my practice! memtb

I see what you did there.
Well with "dad" as part of your title I'd certainly hope so 🤣

The dad jokes based on common euphemisms are plentiful in this particular hobby/sport/interest.

In addition to "giving them a shot" I could "bite the bullet" and buy them, or go ahead and "pull the trigger" on purchasing these bullets…

Here's an example on how small errors can make a big difference:

A 300 RUM loaded with a 124gr Hammer at 4200fps and a 1/2" error in sight height equates to a 1" difference in impact at 500 yards and 2" at 1000 yards. If your zero is off a half inch, it would be added to that.

Being off 1/2" on your 100 yard zero equates to just over a 2" difference at 500 yards and 5" at 1000 yards. So add that to a potential sight height error and it just gets worse.

So you can see how small errors can make a huge difference and make the results seem different than they really are.

I only say this to offer up some explanation as to why sometimes things seem to point to BC not mattering and doesn't seem to show that drop and drift correlates correctly. There are sometimes other variables messing with our results. I used that load example only because it's a common one and a high MV which exacerbates potential errors like I mentioned. It's simply an example though.

It's pretty easy to be off 1/2" on a 100 yard or even 200 yard zero. It's also easy to be off on your sight height.

If you take drop/drift data like that though, that is inaccurate due to other input errors, and you adjust the BC to match, you're just creating more errors. It can make you think the advertised BC Is way off or that BC isn't a good way to figure drop or drift because of how off it seems to be.

I'm just trying to add to the discussion here in a more positive and meaningful way. I feel like these are productive things to consider and discuss. Maybe I'm wrong.
I totally agree, and you've backed up my point--- the more real in field data we have, the more data we have to figure out not only what is right-- but what is wrong.
More often times we can learn from mistakes than from perfection.

That's one of the reasons I like to observe fordy's testing is he trys to make a bullet fail-- he tests the bullets in real world conditions even in conditions they weren't designed for-- from this we tend to learn not only where the limits are but sometimes we find info we didn't expect.

If one guy tests a bullet for bc and he gets a high bc, the next guy tests it and gets a much lower bc-- we can now ask why, and do more testing to make sure our data it true and where the errors were.

As I said, we more often times than not-- learn more from mistakes and fouled data than we do from perfect testing and conditions.

Lots of data-- lots of variables- will reduce the errors even more

I'd rather see a guy shooting 2 totally opposite bullets in the same conditions and reporting the good and bad of both bullets, rather than just using mathmatical calculations to prove or disprove something--- field data is real data--- just don't tell the engineers😁

I totally agree, and you've backed up my point--- the more real in field data we have, the more data we have to figure out not only what is right-- but what is wrong.
More often times we can learn from mistakes than from perfection.

That's one of the reasons I like to observe fordy's testing is he trys to make a bullet fail-- he tests the bullets in real world conditions even in conditions they weren't designed for-- from this we tend to learn not only where the limits are but sometimes we find info we didn't expect.

If one guy tests a bullet for bc and he gets a high bc, the next guy tests it and gets a much lower bc-- we can now ask why, and do more testing to make sure our data it true and where the errors were.

As I said, we more often times than not-- learn more from mistakes and fouled data than we do from perfect testing and conditions.

Lots of data-- lots of variables- will reduce the errors even more

I'd rather see a guy shooting 2 totally opposite bullets in the same conditions and reporting the good and bad of both bullets, rather than just using mathmatical calculations to prove or disprove something--- field data is real data--- just don't tell the engineers😁
Field data is fine with me. Repeatable field data without the variables skewed to one side's favor.

Yeah it maters, it matters how much you have to hold for the wind, if you run the numbers and look at them side by side on paper….. it's a small matter IMHO you gotta hold for the wind regardless.
No matter what bullet you use if you have enough time on the trigger with a chosen combination it shouldn't really matter, pick your poison and practice, and now we're right back to the same old conversation so let's get the cup and core vs mono's argument started
Am i reading this right, you're saying that BC's aren't that important anymore??

Bullet BC values aren't important? Hahaha.

Here's where BC value of a bullet makes all the difference in the world. When the bullet's velocity drops below the manufacturer's minimum bullet expansion threshhold at a downrange yardage short of the distance of the animal being targeted. I recently experienced this exact scenario after purchasing two different bullets intended for use on predators/game out to 600yds. I did my homework prior to bullet selection and purchase. In the effort to ensure the bullets would maintain the minimum velocity required to ensure expansion out to 600yds. However... the actual BC values of the bullets I purchased ended up ~30% less than the manufacturer's "estimated", assigned, BC values. Consequence? I can't use these two boxes of bullets for their intended purpose. And I couldn't know that until after I purchased the bullets, and spent the time loading and shooting those bullets, and measuring their velocity decay with my LabRadar.

Hold onto your seats one more time...
The ONLY reliable bullet BC values are BC values that have been determined by tracking bullet velocity decay with bullet velocity recording instrumentation. Velocity recording instrumentation that records downrange bullet velocity (used properly) eliminates all of the extraneous sources of error associated with estimating a bullet BC value based on measured downrange bullet drops on paper. BC value directly determines the rate of the bullet's velocity decay. Any other method of measurement used to estimate bullet BC value are inferior, and result in guesstimated bullet BC values.

Yes, you can modify any bullet's BC value in your exterior ballistic calculator in order to input a BC value that better matches your measured bullet drops at the location, and under the atmospheric conditions/density, where/when bullet drops were measured. And that can result in a useable BC value for your rifle setup at your location, under those atmospheric conditions. That doesn't mean you're using the true BC value for your bullet. It means you're fudging the bullet's BC value in order to account for other data input errors in your exterior ballistic calculator.

Petey308, in Post #336, provided a couple examples of sources of error that will cause error in BC value guesstimates based on measured downrange bullet drops on paper. There are more that his Post #336 didn't address.

BC value may not matter or be important to some. That doesn't mean BC values aren't valuable, even critical, to others. They mattered to me! When I learned after-the-fact that my bullets couldn't be relied upon to expand at the yardages I intended to shoot. Because the true bullet BC values were too low to maintain the manufacturer's minimum required velocity to ensure reliable bullet expansion at my intended 600yd range.

Waste time and effort attempting to convince me bullet BC values aren't really all that important to Long Range Hunting, if you like. If you've got the spare time to waste.

Last edited:
Bullet BC values aren't important? Hahaha.

Here's where BC value of a bullet makes all the difference in the world. When the bullet's velocity drops below the manufacturer's minimum bullet expansion threshhold at a downrange yardage short of the distance of the animal being targeted. I recently experienced this exact scenario after purchasing two different bullets intended for use on predators/game out to 600yds. I did my homework prior to bullet selection and purchase. In the effort to ensure the bullets would maintain the minimum velocity required to ensure expansion out to 600yds. However... the actual BC values of the bullets I purchased ended up ~30% less than the manufacturer's "estimated", assigned, BC values. Consequence? I can't use these two boxes of bullets for their indended purpose. And I couldn't know that until after I purchased the bullets, and spent the time loading and shooting those bullets, and measuring their velocity decay with my LabRadar.

Hold onto your seats one more time...
The ONLY reliable bullet BC values are BC values that have been determined by tracking bullet velocity decay with bullet velocity recording instrumentation. Velocity recording instrumentation that records downrange bullet velocity (used properly) eliminates all of the extraneous sources of error associated with estimating a bullet BC value based on measured downrange bullet drops on paper. BC value directly determines the rate of the bullet's velocity decay. Any other method of measurement used to estimate bullet BC value are inferior, and result in guesstimated bullet BC values.

Yes, you can modify any bullet's BC value in your exterior ballistic calculator in order to input a BC value that better matches your measured bullet drops at the location, and under the atmospheric conditions/density, where/when bullet drops were measured. And that can result in a useable BC value for your rifle setup at your location, under those atmospheric conditions. That doesn't mean you're using the true BC value for your bullet. It means you're fudging the bullet's BC value in order to account for other data input errors in your exterior ballistic calculator.

Petey308, in Post #336, provided a couple examples of sources of error that will cause error in BC value guesstimates based on measured downrange bullet drops on paper. There are more that his Post #336 didn't address.

BC value may not matter or be important to some. That doesn't mean BC values aren't valuable, even critical, to others. They mattered to me! When I learned after-the-fact that my bullets couldn't be relied upon to expand at the yardages I intended to shoot. Because the true bullet BC values were too low to maintain the manufacturer's minimum required velocity to ensure reliable bullet expansion at my intended 600yd range.

Waste time and effort attempting to convince me bullet BC values aren't really all that important to Long Range Hunting, if you like. If you've got spare time to waste.
so far I've been pretty successful with the drag models in applied ballistics. If they don't have a bullet modeled I'm pretty skeptical of anything I'm told until I shoot it

The minimum velocity threshold is a big deal. Especially to me, I don't even look at energy numbers honestly

Bryan Litz shook up the bullet manufacturer's world, when he measured rates of bullet velocity decay, and provided true bullet BC values for bullets manufactured and sold by most of the major bullet manufacturers. The bullet manufacturer's dirty gig was finally up.

Forevermore and forever after.

I have a take on BC/Velocity that I haven't seen discussed in this thread yet.

For the most part, I don't think I'm capable of predicting what a live target will do beyond 1 full second. So, I'm interested in velocity and BC but really only as they apply to Time of Flight. I try to keep my "on-game outer limit" to about 3/4 second flight time or less as a result. That also generally keeps me well above the "lower-limit" projectile expansion velocity.

I suspect that makes my max range on game a fair bit shorter than a whole bunch of folks on the board, but, that's what I consider the limit of my skill-set when considering atmospherics AND the actions of an intended game target.

I like mono-metal projectiles due to what's been very repeatable/nearly indistinguishable results on-game through a wide variety of impact velocities, bullet diameters, and bullet weights.

We're living in the "Best of Times" regarding projectile performance and R&D and it'll just keep getting better. Had there been good mono's available when the .264Win Mag or 8MM Rem Mag were launched, both might be more than a mere footnote in shooting history, along with a whole bunch of others that also suffered from the available projectiles of their age.

Bryan Litz shook up the bullet manufacturer's world, when he measured rates of bullet velocity decay, and provided true bullet BC values for bullets manufactured and sold by most of the major bullet manufacturers. The bullet manufacturer's dirty gig was finally up.
Lytz and company have done great work trying to give good BC info. My recollection is he still notes it varies barrel to barrel.
Waste time and effort attempting to convince me bullet BC values aren't really all that important to Long Range Hunting, if you like. If you've got the spare time to waste.
We're coming to 350 post if we've been at this long, time apparently is something we have to waste.

Long Range Hunting? We've done that one a few thousand posts, and still no agreement on WTH it means. Maybe we should see if another 1000 or so finally gets us there.