Barnes bullet length vs others

Mike apple

I've noticed it seems the barnes bullets are all longer unless maybe your talking FBHPs or something. When your trying to go heavy and barrel twist comes into play I've ran across that trying to work with the barnes loads. Anybody else noticed that or just me?

I've noticed it seems the barnes bullets are all longer unless maybe your talking FBHPs or something. When your trying to go heavy and barrel twist comes into play I've ran across that trying to work with the barnes loads. Anybody else noticed that or just me?
It's that way with all mono (all copper) bullets. Copper isn't as dense and heavy as lead.

Shoot a lighter weight, they love to be driven fast and perform better at higher velocity.

Last edited:
It's that way will all mono (all copper) bullets. Copper isn't as dense and heavy as lead.

Shoot a lighter weight, they love to be driven fast and perform better at higher velocity.
Well I've found a 53gr vmax outa my 22-250 with 1 and 14 twist may say on the Hornady load page it's not rated for that twist but if I load them near max load, and set them back off the Lans around 30 thousandths they will shoot.
Ive got some barnes 55gr tipped bullets ill have to swap for something though because im pretty sure they wont ever stabilize. I know the 62gr barnes didnt.
Today I'm going to put some .270 and 7mm stw together I think.

Well I've found a 53gr vmax outa my 22-250 with 1 and 14 twist may say on the Hornady load page it's not rated for that twist but if I load them near max load, and set them back off the Lans around 30 thousandths they will shoot.
Ive got some barnes 55gr tipped bullets ill have to swap for something though because im pretty sure they wont ever stabilize. I know the 62gr barnes didnt.
Today I'm going to put some .270 and 7mm stw together I think.
Yes in my experience the Barnes bullets like more jump. I normally start loads at .050" off and see how they shoot and work further back from there. Most of them shoot best for me between .050 & .080.

Recent Posts