Barrel length vs velocity

lyle2231

Asking for comments and opinions…I participate in NRA
High Power matches. I use an AR with an 18" barrel with adjustable gas block .223 Wylde chamber for across the course. Prone matches are with a bolt gun
in 6Br through a 26 inch barrel. I've documented my loads and my findings are that the 18" barrel has a shorter pressure curve duration evidenced by brass appearance compared to amount of powder in the case, at maximum or slightly exceeding. With the bolt gun I can't get close to maximum before I start getting pressure signs on the brass. Two different set ups yes but the question is pressure curve versus barrel length. What are your thoughts……

I doubt barrel length has anything to do with your observation of brass differences. I have pressure testing equipment and can tell you that a difference in pressure is VERY HARD to see on a brass case, and if you think it is the pressure curve effecting velocity, then you must have better knowledge than me. I cannot see a pressure curve on ANY brass I have ever fired.

Cheers.

I doubt barrel length has anything to do with your observation of brass differences. I have pressure testing equipment and can tell you that a difference in pressure is VERY HARD to see on a brass case, and if you think it is the pressure curve effecting velocity, then you must have better knowledge than me. I cannot see a pressure curve on ANY brass I have ever fired.

Cheers.
As an example; cratered primers, expansion at the web, ejector marks.

As an example; cratered primers, expansion at the web, ejector marks.

All three of those can be manipulated to show pressure.....cratered primer/oversize firing pin hole (esp with 6br brass), expansion at the web/fat chamber, ejector marks and pierced primers can be from excessive headspace. None of these are good indicators of a pressure curve difference on brass.

Was typing while Lance was posting....I agree with everything he said.