Bullet comparator or COAL?

Greywolf18

Just curious how many people use a bullet comparator or do you just go off of COAL? I've just been doing COAL and usually @1/2MOA or less if I do my part with everything from Accubonds to Bergers. I've got a Hornady comparator that's been just sitting there forever. Just wondering what everyone else does.

To me COAL has a place as a measurement if its to determine say a lenght that will fit into a magazine but as far as I am concerned there is only one true way to measure it from a reloading sense which is CBTO which is your measurement from the bolt face to the lands.

For consistent and more precise reloading you are better to measure on the ogive with a comparator

To me COAL has a place as a measurement if its to determine say a lenght that will fit into a magazine but as far as I am concerned there is only one true way to measure it from a reloading sense which is CBTO which is your measurement from the bolt face to the lands.

For consistent and more precise reloading you are better to measure on the ogive with a comparator
Can't say it any better than this.

CBTO is the measurement that matters. Consistent jump to lands is more important. COAL is just to make sure it fits in the magazine. Meplats differ too much, even lead or plastic tips differ.

Measure a group of bullets, you'll realize how inconsistent they are. Many new reloaders without a comparator are discouraged while trying to achieve consistency measuring COAL only.

I use a comparator for determining seating depth, and COAL just if I have to fit it into magazine. One note - I have both the Hornady and Sinclair comparators, and they each give me a different reading, so make sure I work out my final seating depth and measure it with each one for consistency.

CBTO is essential if you're testing multiple bullets. Once you find the jump your rifle likes it's easier to set up the next load. As most comparators were out of my price range when I decided I needed one (several years ago), I made my own and still use it today. As mentioned several times, COAL is just to check for mag fit.
Cheers,
crkckr

G'day Greywolf
Sorry to say but where do you guys get that COAL
Is just to fit your magazine????
Coal is a measurement from the base of the cartridge to the ogive of the projectiles used in conjunction with a OAL gauge
This is used to set the projectiles within a thousand of a inch more or less for bullet jump to the lands ,
last part of loading a round getting the bullet to jump right at a given distance depends on what your rifle likes.
I don't see using the coal to get a round to fit ones mag,
it's not hard to set that by eye
Maybe go the the Hornady web site and have a read and look
At their comparator and oal gauge and inserts

G'day Greywolf
Sorry to say but where do you guys get that COAL
Is just to fit your magazine????
Coal is a measurement from the base of the cartridge to the ogive of the projectiles used in conjunction with a OAL gauge
This is used to set the projectiles within a thousand of a inch more or less for bullet jump to the lands ,
last part of loading a round getting the bullet to jump right at a given distance depends on what your rifle likes.
I don't see using the coal to get a round to fit ones mag,
it's not hard to set that by eye
Maybe go the the Hornady web site and have a read and look
At their comparator and oal gauge and inserts
I think you're saying the same as most people here. Just some definitions or misunderstandings. My understanding of COAL is Cartridge Overall Length, the entire length base to the very tip of the bullet using just calipers and no comparator (what is the O for?). BTO or CBTO, is Cartridge Base To Ogive, using a comparator, and not measuring the Meplat or Tip of the bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.