Bullet Comparator for sorting bullets?

Bearing Surface Comparators

Bought mine from the inventor but you can buy them from Tubbs.

that's similar to what Innovative Technology sells. If you use it besure to get the digital indicator. The other one usually has 10% lag built into it. I built one like that about ten years ago, and gave it away. The indicator stem flexed all over the place. But did design a second one and built it that used a digital head that is used on a Bridgeport mill head. It was 100% better, but sold it to a guy that had more money than he knew what to do with. Pendell's measured bullet runout in several places, and I suspect it would even do a good job at checking the C/G error in a bullet. Verne Junke was supposed have made a good one as well, but have never seen one in the flesh. Hollands may also have one as well
gary

So I'm looking for the tool which I can use to sort my bullets, I have 3 calibers which I regularly reload they are .224, .277 and .308, and it looks like there are 4 or maybe 5 choices, the hex tool from Sinclair, hex tool from PTG, then Sinclair Bullet Sorting Stand with Dial Indicator, Sinclair Comparator which attaches to the caliper and Hornady LNL Comparator which was originally made by Stony Point. So I need to choose one and I'm leaning towards Hornady LNL Comparator.

Do you think I'm on the right track? Maybe there is something I should know before I buy one?

Thanx!
Yup, you are on the right track and they do work. I started doing this years ago before it was the cool thing to do, and my first set up was the stony point. It is a little clumsy, but you get the feel after a fashion, and it works. I dump a box or two on the table, and look for the average from ogive to base and put them aside. You will end up with about 4 or 5 groups that may vary .002 etc. In the end, you will have a pile that is bigger than the others by a good amount. So,then I would just box them, and label them, and when I loaded them, I made small changes in my seater. SOME bullets have HUGE overall variances , but when separated and grouped, they shoot fine. I have purposely shot a sorted group, and then a random group, and there is a considerable and measurable difference. P/S, ( the bullets that come in the orange and yellow boxes are consistent within that box, but not necessarily another ) Hope I didn't lose you with all the details. AIM SMALL,MISS SMALLlightbulb 7 STW

Woow thanks ;-) I thought this post is long time dead like 2 years ago, anyhow after playing with Hornady LNL I got used to getting right reading out of it, plus I acquired headspace gauges which fit right on it. I also use Hornady bullet comparator in combination with Sinclair meplat trimmer to get more precise reading and bullets come out not just sorted by ogive but uniform length after I trim them.

I like the SSS or tubbs model.

What is the difference between this and the Sinclair as they look very similar.

Currently I use the Hornady LNL bullet comparator. But I was having difficulty getting consistant measurements on the Berger due to the base not being absolutely flat.

I also had a Hornady adapter (the end that accepts the bullet specific inserts) from the headspace set. I am measuring 140 bergers for instance by using the appropriate 26 comparator and using the 24 for the base (boat tail) and it makes getting consistent readings much easier. It is not perfect but seems to work pretty well for me.

When I and others can reload ammo with out-of-the-box Sierra HPMK's put right into the case full of powder and primer without any inspection or measurement whatsoever (except to place 'em in the case mouth pointy end up) and shoot 1/2 to 5/8 MOA 20 to 30 shot groups at 1000 yards, why sort bullets by any means? And why current benchrest aggregate records at 1000 yards are probably shot with bullets sorted by several tools, their groups aren't any better than what plain Sierra's will do. 1/2 to 5/8 MOA is the accuracy those record holding rifle's ammo shoots at 36,000 inches. And once in a great while, those rifles will shoot 5 of those sorted bullets into a group measuring an inch or two in spread and claim a few-shot record; just like out-of-the-box Sierra HPMK's will do.

Did any of you bullet sorters ever consider that if you all faced due north when seating your bullets, they would more precisely leave the barrel in a line to the target and strike closer to each other on the target? May be worth trying. I heard of this some years ago but have never tried it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.