Bullet Attitude at Impact

Again, angle of attack and changing the angle of trajectory is not the same; I.e., an airplane can have 15 degree AOA maintain a forward motion at that attitude without climbing.

Point the rifle or bow from 0 to +45 angle and you change the trajectory to POI X.

Your explanation is irrelevant. Arrows and bullets constantly decelerate vs airplane can have constant thrust, acceleration, or deceleration.... or barrel rolls :D

Changing the angle changes your POI, so POI will not always be X relative to the angle. So angle A = POI X, angle B= POI Y... and so on. You can't hold at an angle of 0-45* and have same POI, beyond 45* perhaps, but thats off topic.

Your explanation is irrelevant. Arrows and bullets constantly decelerate vs airplane can have constant thrust, acceleration, or deceleration.... or barrel rolls :D

Changing the angle changes your POI, so POI will not always be X relative to the angle. So angle A = POI X, angle B= POI Y... and so on. You can't hold at an angle of 0-45* and have same POI, beyond 45* perhaps, but thats off topic.

You asked for an explanation and I did but you're obviously still confused.

All you have to do is drop your improper reference to angle of attack and your post #11 is OK as I originally noted for.

Let your friend Google help you understand angle of attack or angle of incidence.

To the OP,

My sincere apology, it was never my intention to get off track or complicate things unnecessarily.

Last edited:
Back to the original question...There IS a very small force due to the high spin rate of the bullet that attempts to gyroscopically stabilize the bullet in it's current orientation. As the bullet follows the downward curved trajectory, this gyroscopic force wants to keep the nose of the bullet up. This force is greatly overpowered by the balanced aerodynamic forces of air that maintain the nice curved spiral along the trajectory path..almost. The nose will be ever so slightly elevated do to the small gyroscopic force. (Note: If the bullet where fired in space at a velocity and direction that allowed the bullet to orbit the earth, this gyroscopic force would stabilize the bullet in it's original orientation, and the nose would not follow the orbital path...ie the bullet would be flying backwards 1/2 way around it's orbit) Back on earth, I've observed that bullets at range do not appear to fall as far as one would expect given their time of flight. Ballistic apps account for this by decaying the BC at various speeds (G7 does this better than G1), but I've not heard of a great explanation as to why. I've often wondered if the small deviation of the nose above the trajectory provides a small amount of lift that might be the explanation. I'm certain Bryan has thoughts on this. DaveS

Angle of attack at impact is the same as angle of incident in this situation. But thanks for the suggestion, you'll have to learn me sum of that Google mumbo jumbo.

Angle of attack at impact is the same as angle of incident in this situation. But thanks for the suggestion, you'll have to learn me sum of that Google mumbo jumbo.

My response to you was not off Google but rather 10 years working on aircraft. I referred you to Google mumbo jumbo hoping it'll clarify things but apparent that is still not case. Like any search engines, believe me when used accordingly, it is not entirely worthless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa9jFxBBwWg

If you wish to continue making a fool of yourself and self re-define AOA, that's your prerogative.

With due respect to the OP, this will be my last post to this thread.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.