Built in MOA on receiver.

WHITEBULL

I have a Model 70 WSM, 2007. I was told that these already have enough MOA built into the receiver, and that I do not need a 20 MOA scope rail for up to 1,200 yrds. I am using a Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20x50 scope. Does anyone have info on this? I am still waiting for my McMillan stock on this build, so I am trying to get all my ducks in a row before it arrives.
Thanks.

I have a Model 70 WSM, 2007. I was told that these already have enough MOA built into the receiver, and that I do not need a 20 MOA scope rail for up to 1,200 yrds. I am using a Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20x50 scope. Does anyone have info on this? I am still waiting for my McMillan stock on this build, so I am trying to get all my ducks in a row before it arrives.
Thanks.

I don't think so, but when in doubt go directly to the source! Perhaps they (?) meant you have enough internal elevation adjustment in your scope. Even if it does, IIWY, I'd still use a 20 MOA cant.

Not sure if its pure chance or made that way on purpose but I have one about that year model and to zero at 150 yards I had to dial my scope almost as low as it would go. So for mine that is quite true but I have never been sure if it was supposed to be that way or if it was a mistake that happened to work out well for me.

Not sure if its pure chance or made that way on purpose but I have one about that year model and to zero at 150 yards I had to dial my scope almost as low as it would go. So for mine that is quite true but I have never been sure if it was supposed to be that way or if it was a mistake that happened to work out well for me.

Well I will wait and see. I already have some fine Talley rings, so if I cannot reach out far enough with what I have, I will move to plan B. Sure would be sweet if I can just run what I have. The 20 MOA rails are not very expensive, but they will add weight and the #5 barrel is not exactly a light weight.
Thanks for the help.

I don't think so, but when in doubt go directly to the source! Perhaps they (?) meant you have enough internal elevation adjustment in your scope. Even if it does, IIWY, I'd still use a 20 MOA cant.

For this reason ...

Even though the scope adjustment range may be large enough to get to 1,000 yds, you should use a 20 moa base. That's because off-axis optical aberrations that degrade resolution increase with incidence angle. You should set up your rifle so that the incidence angle is minimized for long distance shots (where resolution matters most).

Assume the base is within +/-10 moa of alignment with the rifle bore. Let's also assume your bullet drops no more than 30 moa at 1,000 yds, and you like to zero your rifle at 100 yds. With a standard base, you would need up to -40 moa of adjustment to get to 1,000 yds. That means you need a total 80 moa of adjustment.

With a 20 moa base you would need up to -20 moa to get to 1,000 yds, but up to 26 moa to get to a 100 yd zero (worse case boresight alignment in each case). That means you need a total 52 moa of adjustment. With a 20 moa base, however, the incidence angle at 1,000 yds is 20 moa less, so the image will have less blur.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.