Thoughts on MOA adjustments

I use the Huskemaw with .333 clicks and have shot with other scopes with .5 MOA and mil clicks and found that for hunting game the size of coyote's and up the difference is acedemic out to 1000 yards or even more. The 5-6" discussion is a little deceiving. Compared to a .25MOA we are talking about a difference of under an inch to 2.6" at 1000 yards depending on which one you use, and "on hair" adjustments if needed are mindless. Targets and ELRH I agree that the .25 or less would be advantageous. IMHO.
A standing PD or one with just it's head visible above their mound presents about a .5-.25 target at 600yds.

If you are shooting at an animal that is partially obscured by brush and attempting to slip a round in between branches you also need the maximim possible precision to succeed.

More precise is never a bad thing.

The Huskemaw is the only one out of the three I have any hands on experience with. I really like it overall. The reticle is one of the reasons I like it over the other two. I'm wanting to put a ballistic turret on which ever one I decide on. According to some calculations I've done, the Huskemaw will get me to 1000 yards, or a bit more with a 210 or 215 Berger in a 300 RUM. It will get me just under 1000, with a 338 Edge or Lapua with a 300 Berger. Those are the main cartridges I'm considering. But with the Vortex I would be over a 1000 on the turret with the RUM and right there or a bit over with one of the 338's. I just really don't know where I want to go with it. Trying to get all the input and advice I can! Thanks

:D:DThis is from an 'inferior 30 cal.
15 rounds from 1000 yards. Matter of fact...it's 106 years old!
That's pretty good. Darned few custom .30-06's have equalled what the .308 Win. will do and that obviously is one of them.

Whose reamer was used to chamber the barrel and what leade angle did it have?

I ask 'cause the original .30-06 mil spec and SAAMI lead angles never shot that good when the '06 was popular in high power competion. The .30-06 cartridge ain't inferior but its original chamber dimensions and rifling twist wasn't as good as they should have been.

That's pretty good. Darned few custom .30-06's have equalled what the .308 Win. will do and that obviously is one of them.

Whose reamer was used to chamber the barrel and what leade angle did it have?

I ask 'cause the original .30-06 mil spec and SAAMI lead angles never shot that good when the '06 was popular in high power competion. The .30-06 cartridge ain't inferior but its original chamber dimensions and rifling twist wasn't as good as they should have been.

Bart

We both remember Al Freeland well...I would imagine! Al built this rifle up for me somewhere around 1984 and I'd bet that it has the 2.5 degree leade angle. I don't recall! My *** was constantly 'glued' to the seat of an ag plane during those days and I had no time to build rifles so Al advised that his shop would do so! But I read ya loud and clear reference the leade angle and I think the Serengeti reamer made by PTG has the reduced leade angle! I plan to order one soon!

Good to hear from you! You still shooting a little Palma??

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.