Building my Savage Rifle

JeremyKS

Here is what I want to do with this rifle. This will be carry rifle for calling coyotes so I am keeping the weight down. The rifle is an accutriger 243 win with the standard sporter barrel on a Stockade thumbhole stock. The scope is a Weaver Tactical 4.5-14. I would like to build this into a long range hunter to be able to shoot 500+ yards. What would you guys do to this gun to make it as accurate as possible? I would consider rebarreling but it only has about 250 rounds through it. Any suggestions on what to do to improve the accuracy?

Well , your stock is good but I'd still bed it even though Kevin's bedding blocks are well made they can't be made a tight as a good bedding job.
The Factory barrels are typicaly pretty accurate.

To be able to ring the most velocity out of that round you need at least a 24-26" barrel , they can still be made light weight with the thinner conture.

I'd look for a 26" barel in #3-4 conture and chambered in 243 Ackley if you reload , have the chamber cut for the 75gr V-max that case with that bullet would make a fine 500yd coyote round. I'd get a new recoil lug from SSS and maybe have the action "timed"

How does it shoot right now? do you hand load?

How is it shooting now?
Im not familiar with the stock youve got... but bedding might be a good place to start if you want to fiddle...
Other options might be adjusting the headspace on the barrel to better fit the ammo youre shooting... or the ammo youre loading, if youre handloading.
im launching 95gr Bergers from my 243AI.

It seems to shoot well now. I don't reload so I have been shooting Federal Premium 85 gr BTHP sierra gamekings. What does the recoil lug do? Is timing of the bolt considered similar to trueing on a remingtion action? Thanks for the suggestions.

ya, thats all id do. uve already got a shooter i bet. most savages are. just start handloading. the 75gr is good, and i bet the 58 or 65 would be good too. but i doubt u would be happy with them much past 500 yards.

start handloading. maybe have it cut for 243AI and bedded. that will shoot "minute of coyote" farther than your capabilities, im sure.

For bolt timeing... you need to talk to these guys... http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

The recoil lug is frequently upgraded from the stock for a couple of reasons... on the larger calibers, thew will eventually bend a bit. Further, the factory recoil lug is a stamped item... and as a result is frequently bit thicker at the top or bottom.
Aftermarket items are almost universally thicker, and machined.

As for my suggestion of altering headspace to fit your ammo... if youre only shoting one kind, this could pay off. Ive done it on a few 308s that were a bit long, and 2 300WMs that were way off... and all shot better, and gave better brass life. A definate positive when (not if) you eventually start reloading.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.