Building a Rifle

Enco sells small lathes that will do what you need without spending your life savings.
I am just fortunate to work in a shop that has some high tech equipment but one day I'll have a lathe.
Dave

I am pretty good working with tools and welding and stuff like that. What all do i need to look for in a lathe (i.e. the length from center to center and stuff like that). I was looking at a grizzly I think and there were several that were around 800 dollars or so. What is a very reputable brand?

True, you won't save money, but you WILL save time. I bought a lathe because I got tired of gunsmiths that took months to do work.

Chris,

I used a 14X40 Nardini ( I think new cost is around $12,000)that I really liked. I think some of the stuff from ENCO is ok. One thing to remember is that gun work is really very light duty so you will have a tough time wearing a lathe out but the light duty lathes make everything harder from a lack of rigidity.

If I was trying to do what I THINK you are I would buy the cheapest 14X40 I could find. I think I would prefer a heavy lathe made in China (yuck) to a lighter maybe better quality lathe made in Tiawan at the same price.

Sometimes you can find a really good used lathe but you really need to know what you are looking at.

One final thought would be to find one that runs a single phase motor and not a three phase. That's if your running at home. This should reduce your choices and make it easy for you.

Ronnie

Lathe size is composed of two numbers.

First is swing. this is the max diameter the lathe can turn. I think for gun work you may get buy with a 12" swing but 13 is better and 14 about perfect. You will never need to turn anything this large but the lathe will be able to use a larger chuck to hold the barrel. The larger the swing the larger the internal bearings and the "better" the lathe will cut especially during threading operations.

Next is the max distance between centers. This is the lenght you can turn. You will need at least 36 inches.

I think the 14 X 40 lathes are the best for barrel work.

A very important thing to consider is how you will hold the barrel during chambering. I much prefer to hold the barrel in the headstock and therefor require a lathe with a short enough head stock to hold both ends of the shortest barrel I will chamber. I use a six jaw set tru chuck and build a spider to hold the muzzle at the back of the headstock. If you want to chamber in the steady rest you won't need to worry about headstock length.

Also make sure the through hole in the headstock is big enough for any barrel diameter you will ever want to use. Most 14X40 lathes are fine but check before you buy.

Another aspect is weight and a rule of thumb is the heavier your lather is the better it will cut.

I would not pay any extra for a gap bed and would avoid it if possible. No need for gun work and just one more place to have a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.