Building my Ruger M77 .270

Brewster805

hey guys, iv been slowly building up my old tang safety ruger m77 .270. Iv free floated the barrel/stock, bedded the action/reciol lug with JB Weld, adjusted the trigger and modified the sear/trigger engagement surfaces for a nice crisp light pull, and made a custom cheek pad for a good weld every time. i was just wondering if there is anything else i can do to it to make it more accurate? i has a burris fullfield II 3-9x40 scope on it. i know its not the best scope but its all i got for now. looking to get some target turrets for it. thanks fellasgun)

What ranges are you looking to shoot at? Depending on your answer I would make getting a scope with a parallax adjustment a priority.

i mean honestly 1000yards is prob a lot further than i will shoot but i would like to try it. i have plenty of private land to shoot on so thats not an issue. i need to practice a lot to even try a long shot like that but i was just wondering if its worth trying to make this rifle a long range gun or just build another one. also this is my deer rifle, living in CA we have to use non-lead now! super lame!

i mean honestly 1000yards is prob a lot further than i will shoot but i would like to try it. i have plenty of private land to shoot on so thats not an issue. i need to practice a lot to even try a long shot like that but i was just wondering if its worth trying to make this rifle a long range gun or just build another one. also this is my deer rifle, living in CA we have to use non-lead now! super lame!

easier to start with a rem 700 long range with a higher power scope. ( lees expenisive than a sendero or 5-r) . you pick the caliber. 655$ . you are likely going to spend a lot of time and factory ammo. on the other rifle. in my expereince. if deer is biggest target an money tight . sell the ruger and get a ADL varmint in 243 or 308 from dicks.

Your Ruger's front action screw has a blind hole. Be certain the bolt doesn't bottom out. I have encountered this due to different height after bedding or because of the dreaded "booger" of epoxy that got inside the action hole.

Be certain the rings are properly into the recesses of the integral bases.

Make sure the action screw holes in stock are large enough so sides of action screw won't touch stock.

Make certain mag box is not binding

Trigger group must not touch stock

Trigger guard must not touch trigger

Barrel having adequate clearance where it is supposed to be floated ( one of my Ruger tang safety rifles needed more clearance, didn't know till I used a bi-pod)

Finally be sure the crown is in good shape.

thanks for all the help so far guys. actually i haven't shot the GMX out of it yet, i just had foot surgery so im on the couch for a while just building up my research. i usually shoot 130gr winchester soft-point for hunting. and yea im looking to building up a Remington 700 .308 in the future. and it seems like throwing money at this ruger would be a waste of time and cashgun)

Throwing what money? Only cost you mentioned is getting turrets. If you had to switch scopes to get a turret no big deal there are plenty of moderately priced scopes including Leupolds that could work.

Sounds like it is ready to be used. If it has issues with accuracy then attend to checklist associated with the new bedding job then tweak the loads. I think it should work better than before with the changes you have made.

Sure Ron, he can bend the bullets with pliers or hammer them deeper into the cases. <grin> I missed the factory ammo bit......

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.