Building first custom rifle

Im sure all of those would be good choices. Some will shoot the heavy projectiles better though. The PRC will send the Berger 156 at a very nice speed as will the 6.5-284. I'm not very familiar with the rest. Have you selected your components yet? Short action, long action, weight, etc......
I already have some brass from when I had a milsurp rifle in 6.5x55. Ive got several of 6.5 rifles so im good on powder and bullets. As for action I haven't decided yet, I have a 700LA in 3006 that is sorta laying around not doing a whole lot so I considered rebarreling it, but I was mostly considering using the GRB action from gunwerks, either a krieger, hart or proof barrel, an mdt chasis.

I have a nose and an opinion...everyone has danced around the one cartridge that has the most components/ammo availability...the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Load them with the Barnes 127g LRX (or the 130g TSX) and I'm hearing/reading they will hit like a 6.5 PRC. (I did shoot my 9.5 pt buck last week with the 127g LRX...he traveled 50 yards due to poor bullet placement, but was dead by the time I got to him.)

I wouldn't be afraid to use this up to an elk/black bear.
I currently have a 6.5 creed for my fiance, cva cascade, thing is a tack driver and hits hard, currently loading hornady 140bthp over 39.7 A4350. Not a speed demon but is perfect for what she needs

6.5-284 is the one cartridge that stand out to me in a line up for a wide variety of hunting, when considering reloading components vs effective. I have had 7 and everyone was a shooter. I still have several barrels on my shelf I will keep. I went to the 6.5 PRC in a short action switch barrel platform so that is the reason for the switch. I am not in the least disappointed in the PRC. It is accurate, works well in the platform I have, and out performs my 284's. I also have several 6.5 creeds and don't plan on getting rid of them. The 260Ai is a great option. The swede is as well, if you want to stick with a short action. If you aren't limiting to a SA i'd go 6.5-284 for sure.

Looking at building my first custom gun, rifle will be used for primarily deer here in the south but I will take it out west for antelope/mule deer.

I really love the 260 rem cartridge so I'd like to stay in the 6.5 family but having a difficult time decideding which one.

My current list:
1. 260 terminator
2. 6.5 PRC
3. .260 REM
4. 6.5X284
5. 6.5X55 SWEEDE

Hit me with any and all suggestions yall might have. Doesn't have to stay 6.5 either thats just a happy home for me
For a bolt-action, I went for the 6.5 PRC a year ago, and an AR upper for the 6.5 Creedmoor that uses same mags for 308. (Both have 24-inch barrels.)

What barrel will you pick? Douglas? Shilen? Lilja? et al.?
Do you know a great thorough gunsmith?

.260 Remington (L), 6.5 Creedmoor (R)
1607009642887.png

QUOTE:
"In October 2017, U.S. Special Operations Command tested the performance of the 7.62x51 NATO, .260 Remington, and 6.5 CM cartridges out of SR25, M110A1, and Mk20 sniper rifles. SOCOM determined that the 6.5CM performed the best, doubling hit probability at 1,000 meters (italics mine) increasing effective range by nearly half, reducing wind drift by a third and having less recoil than the 7.62 NATO rounds…"

1607010410787.png

Last edited:
If you really looking at a custom rifle. Look at a 25-06 AI. You ranges will be longer that back east. Looking at 300 to 600 yds distances. I would turn the twist up into the 7 or 8 rate. Barrel length somewhere around 26" or longer. Getting a full burn on the powders. I believe Brownells already has reamers for it. I don't know how far you into reloading. That can be factor in what you may want. Fire forming the case to AI is very simple and easy. Cases can be made from 30-06, 270, and the easy is 25-06. Or you can go to 260 AI and all require is fire forming the case using 260 case. The 260 Rem is a slow boat to China in my thinking. Twist rate needs to be speed up too. Really look into what you want. Powder, primers, bullets are hard to come by presently. That should past if our new government doesn't get to far out of line, and spread eagle doesn't take over.

Looking at building my first custom gun, rifle will be used for primarily deer here in the south but I will take it out west for antelope/mule deer.

I really love the 260 rem cartridge so I'd like to stay in the 6.5 family but having a difficult time decideding which one.

My current list:
1. 260 terminator
2. 6.5 PRC
3. .260 REM
4. 6.5X284
5. 6.5X55 SWEEDE

Hit me with any and all suggestions yall might have. Doesn't have to stay 6.5 either thats just a happy home for me
Built a 6.5 PRC for a friend at my gun club. What a tack driver. 1000 yards shots are easy!!!

Be a maverick. 260AI, 264 win mag or better 270WSM(110's all the way to 170's), fast twist barrel for the heavies. Load'em light or heavy, fast or slow, great all around, just like the 270win was(is).

in the 6.5 line up the 6.5PRC is what i would and have done, built over 8 now for Alaskan hunters up here. and if you can do your own smithing chambering ect good, if not a bighorn action and proof barrel with a shoulder fit of the bighorn nut set up a set of no go / go gauges and some tools and you can do it your self, and target is with Factory match ammo no trouble finding it up here in Alaska

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

My current list:
1. 260 terminator
2. 6.5 PRC
3. .260 REM
4. 6.5X284
5. 6.5X55 SWEEDE

6.5 PRC in an IN-RUT rifle! Extremely accurate with factory Ammuntion. No kick and can shoot accurately out as far as you want. Call them you won't be dissatisfied!

I personally look at barrel life as a big factor in these decisions. Never had one, but I am led to believe the 6.5x284 and PRC etc. are really hard on barrels. I really don't want to spend the time and effort to build something that may be shot out before I find a load. But that's just me! Maybe I'm too old and set in my ways. I tend to hang on to what works for me, that's why I have been killing animals with the same rifle for over 20 years; but they still die when I touch the trigger. And I haven't had to worry about what it likes in a very long time! YRMV

My current list:
1. 260 terminator
2. 6.5 PRC
3. .260 REM
4. 6.5X284
5. 6.5X55 SWEEDE

DETACHABLE BOX MAGAZINE BOTTOM METAL

My Remington Model 7 in 7mm SAUM, Boyds 'At-One' adjustable ambidextrous laminate stock (Pepper finish), PTG bottom metal, mags say "300 WSM".
They have choice of 3-rd. mag. and 7-rd. mag.
Wyoming allows hi-capacity magazines while hunting.
I live in Wyoming. :D
I bought the stock Model 7 (7mm SAUM) that came with a crappy black plastic stock with feeding issues, thus the 'improvements'. - It also came with a 22-inch barrel, now it has a 24-incher. (That's why many passed on the Remington Model 7 (SAUMs) for Winchester's 24-inch WSMs rifles.)

Maybe TIKKA T3X next time. :D

Attachments

• 7mm SAUM2.jpg
    7mm SAUM2.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 106
  • EGW RAIL 20 MOA.jpg
    EGW RAIL 20 MOA.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I have owned just about all the cartridges listed. I love my little creedmoor, but my do it all is the 6.5x284. I shoot it in a long action and it has killed from 50 yards to over 700. If I'm not sure what I'm getting into distance wise, it's my go to.

Fascinating replies with so many options! I love it . . . this stuff is so much fun to read.

Anyway, I love the 6.5x55 swede option bc it's just a reliable, proven, and cool caliber. It will do everything you ask it to do.

That said, I'm loving my 6.5 PRC. If you want a "do it all" rifle then this caliber is exceptional. It will take down an elk or a deer or an antelope without a doubt.

I have a 6mm CM that I love for deer hunting, but it has limitations on the size of game it will effectively take down at distance. Under 300 yards it will take down just about anything you want.

7mm Reg Mag is a great option too if you want to run a long action. I prefer a little less recoil. Since I hunt the mountains here in Colorado I want a lighter gun and so the 7mm hits me a little harder than I prefer.

Since you are doing a custom build you might look at the Big Horn Origen actions. I have a couple and I love them. They are smooth and precision built. No need for blueprinting really.

There's my 10 cents worth. Good luck and enjoy the build!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.