Building a elk rifle

webitmuddy

Im Wanting to build a new rifle for long range big game hunting But not sure on which caliber to choose. I was thinking 338 rum. Once I was confident with the rifle I would be shooting 800 to 1000 yards. what other caliber would you guys recommend. Thanks for the input

Well you're going to have more opinions on this than Opera at a choose your sex convention. But outside of the 338 I'd run a 30 cal. Something truly special on how they impact elk at long range. There are many capable cartridges but speed and energy still are a contributing factor in trying to narrow down and effective long range cartridge. I'm a magnum fan, not going to lie. 300 Rum is one of my all time favorites. 300 Win over the 300 PRC, and if I was to pick a 7mm shocking it would be a 28 Nosler. If you're looking to truly have 800-1000 yard elk rifle. Can you do it with something else ? Absolutely I mean they are killing full grown elephants in Africa at 3.79 miles with a 6.5 needs more. So in short build what you want, and if it's not, then try again!

Im Wanting to build a new rifle for long range big game hunting But not sure on which caliber to choose. I was thinking 338 rum. Once I was confident with the rifle I would be shooting 800 to 1000 yards. what other caliber would you guys recommend. Thanks for the input
Welcome to LRH, and enjoy! This boils down to personal choice and the components readily available in your neck of the woods. The .338 RUM definitely fits the bill. The .300 WM remains my go-to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1000Y. The .300 RUM will need ~4.00" COAL to take full advantage of the heavy/long high BC bullets. Good luck!

Your thoughts on the .338 RUM are spot on……anything (large case capacity) of 30 caliber and up is a nice place to start! memtb

Whichever caliber you can practice with a lot, then practice some more. I always recommend some flavor of 7mm or .300, 338s really just for big brown bears. I shoot a 7 STW and a 300 H&H and haven't found I needed anything more, at least out to 964 yards once.

TopPin is pretty much spot on with the 338. It's magical. If you haven't shot one I would encourage you to. Only other i would recommend is a 30 nosler especially if you reload. You're gonna get a butt load of answers. And 300 Win Mag is still the all time favorite at that distance. Pick your poison and roll with it.

Last edited:
Whichever caliber you can practice with a lot, then practice some more. I always recommend some flavor of 7mm or .300, 338s really just for big brown bears. I shoot a 7 STW and a 300 H&H and haven't found I needed anything more, at least out to 964 yards once.
I'm a big fan of the 7STW and I bought one on a whim due to the forum on this website. It has become my favorite of all the 9 different chambered cartridges I own. It has more kills than any of my other rifles and it's hard for me not to grab it out of the safe first.

Welcome to LRH.
Your choice and all others mentioned will work just fine.
If it matters you might want to look at
Ammo being available. If you reload look for brass and other components being available. I like any of the RUMS.
Good luck with your adventure.

I went down this road a few years back and almost went with a 338 RUM. A good friend and well known member on this site convinced me to go with the 338 Lapua over the RUM. Main reason being is the Lapua is a military cartridge that will be around forever and you will be able to find ammo and brass for it pretty easily. Years back, you couldn't find RUM brass anywhere, so that made the decision much easier. I never regretted going with the Lapua. It's a great cartridge. Shot the mountain goat in my profile photo with it.

I bought a .338 WM 40 years ago and love it. Were I buying an elk gun today (knowing what I know now) I would definitely go for the .338 RUM instead! While I don't own a .338 or .300 RUM, I do load for a buddies .300 and I'll admit, I do love the cartridge!

Personally speaking, I think even the 300 WM is a bit lite for a big bull elk unless you're fairly close and are using a good bullet, but I am *very* opinionated about this subject, having seen way too many elk hit and wounded with lesser calibers, from .270 to .308, 30-06 and especially 7mm Mag. Even the 300 WM is not exactly a lightening bolt on elk or moose. While all of these calibers will, when conditions are perfect, kill an elk, however those perfect conditions seldom happen to me! Your luck may run contrary to mine, so use whatever you like. But elk are big, tenacious critters and to anchor them down to one spot, I like my .338 WM in combination with my favorite bullet, the Nosler Partition. For the .338 RUM that would be a 250 gr. while I run the the 210 gr. from my .338 Win Mag. I also limit my shots to 400 or so yards, maybe 500 if conditions are perfect.

I'm assuming that if you're building the rifle you also reload. I've been told that you can't get more than one, maybe 2 loads out of RUM brass but when working up loads for the 300, I got as many as 15 to 20 loads from the mostly Winchester brass I had (brass for either caliber is a huge problem right now as it's hard to find and *very* expensive!). I would bite the bullet and buy as much Lapua brass as I could afford, were I starting out now. Assuming you could even find it, that is. Gonna cost you a bundle but if you want to play, you're gonna have to pay, assuming you reload. I can't offer much in way of info regarding factory ammo as neither I nor my buddy can afford such things!

Once I got familiar with the rifle I started out much higher up the scale of loads, as I wanted the best velocity I could get, with accuracy being a second consideration only after getting the velocity as high as I could (using a 200 gr NP. This makes load testing a bit on the expensive side!). Once max velocity is found, then you can mess with seating depth and perhaps lowering the velocity a bit to tune for accuracy. But it turned out that brass life was pretty good by only sizing the brass enough to get it to chamber easily (this is a Rem. 700, that coincidentally had what I would consider to be a match barrel. It was dumb luck but it's a great shooting rifle!). I used the same brass for accuracy testing as I did for the load work ups, so none of the brass was "babied" with lite loads!

I would also be prepared to install another barrel if the first one decides it doesn't like Partitions. Although I refuse to hunt big game with anything other than the Partition, the downside, besides the cost, is some rifles simply don't like them. I've sold rifles that wouldn't shoot these bullets because while I'm usually fairly broke, I'm also very picky about what I hunt with.

Call me hard headed, you will be right and won't be the first but it's just the way I am and at my age, I'm not likely to change no matter what anyone says! I know what works for me and I'm sticking with what works!
Cheers,
crkckr

P.S. The .338 Lapua is another alternative cartridge to consider. I don't know what the ballistics are but I believe they are similar to the RUM and I've heard good things about it's accuracy. It could come down to brass availability!