Building a elk rifle

Nope the way you match the .300 WM energy at 500 yds is with a 165 gr NABLR is starting at 2950 with a ballistics coefficient of .660 and the bullet comparison is to the 180-gr bullet in the .300 Win Mag. Don't take my word for it because there is a lot of written stuff, ballistics comparison etc. on the 6.8 Western that outlines this. If you're a mind to, do some research on 6.8 Western.
So compare a heavy for caliber bullet in the 6.8W to a not heavy for caliber bullet in the 300wm so you can cherry pick your ballistics to try and prove your point?!?!? And not to mention using energy, which is a useless measure when it comes to killing, as the benchmark?!?!? I guarantee to you if you compare heavy to heavy the 300 wm pushing a 215 with an accurate .691 BC at 2950fps runs away from the 6.8W

Im Wanting to build a new rifle for long range big game hunting But not sure on which caliber to choose. I was thinking 338 rum. Once I was confident with the rifle I would be shooting 800 to 1000 yards. what other caliber would you guys recommend. Thanks for the input
Search is your best bet here. You listed the yardage, and my next question is what do you want your impact velocity to be on target?

I just finished a build on a 300 PRC. Very satisfied with the paper target results so far. REM 700 accurized action, Proof 26" Sendero. Shoots the factory Hornady Precision Hunter 212s about 1 MOA. Not quite 1000 yd accuracy, but my personal max on trophy animals is 600 yds. So legitimate for that distance. Reloads should be much better.

I have a 338 RUM and it is a great caliber. That said, I've killed enough bulls with .30 magnums at distance to know a .338 isn't completely necessary. .338 magnums are awesome, but they come with noticeable recoil.

Plus…the majority of game animals are taken at less than 200 yards and nearly all taken inside 500 yards. I play the statistics and plan for the shot I'm most likely going to be taking.

Im Wanting to build a new rifle for long range big game hunting But not sure on which caliber to choose. I was thinking 338 rum. Once I was confident with the rifle I would be shooting 800 to 1000 yards. what other caliber would you guys recommend. Thanks for the input

You already have it figured out…..the .338 RUM would be an outstanding "all around -do it all" cartridge!

If the .338 RUM had been around in 1995, my wife wouldn't be using a .338 WM! 😉 memtb