Building a Custom hunting rifle 300 win input

Why would one want to blueprint a M700 action and add a M16 extractor?

In some cases some smiths don't do anything to rem actions but most do square the boltface, lap lugs, square action and true threads. This all can improve accuracy. Sometimes the action is good enough. If I am going to spend the money to put a once in a lifetime gun together I will have it done or go with custom. One thing to remember most all of the custom actions are Remington clones so there is nothing wrong with the 700. I have factory rems that shoot really well but could be better. The M16 extractor is added to rem 700 to handle pressure which is a safety issue.

I'm guessing you erred when you said that you do want to pack a heavy rifle around in the mountains.

If your M77 has a tang safety I would get rid of it and get a Hawkeye action or M70 center feed to build off of but you certainly can't go wrong with the full custom actions on your list.

Your scope is great although I very much prefer the 50mm Objective and really like the illumination on the new VX-6 Illuminated models.

As for your choice of calibers, even though my personal favorite is the 7mm STW I've always said, "The .300wm is never the wrong answer". There's really just not much of anything you can't do and do very well with the .300wm.

Barrel wise I really love the look and accuracy of the Remington 5R Gen 2 although for a mountain rifle I'd probably want to stick to something like the traditional Model 70 Classic Stainless. I don't know if Remington has patented their 3 wide, deep groove fluting that they put on the 5R Gen 2 but if they haven't and you want to lighten a heavier contoured barrel that's the fluting I'd use.

I'm also becoming a big, big believer in the 5R Rifling for both velocity and accuracy.

Stock wise I'd look at the McMillan with an edge fill.

Yah I have a Ruger MK II stainless. I have added a brake tuned tuned trigger to 2.5 lbs. I still have not reached accuracy I would like. I have had it for 15 years and can get it to shoot pretty decent with federal blue box 180s or 180 grain Nosler BT tips reloads but I would like to use a quality bullet such as a partition, accubond, or swift a frame. If I build of an existing action I would rather do it with rem because of the availability of stock choices, triggers, and the gunsmiths like working with them. I did misspell I want a light rifle with a brake for carrying. Yes the VX-6 is a good scope wanted to go with 44 mm because of the ability to fit in scabbards and lower profile.

Because the stock extractor on a 700 Remington is crap and probably the most prone to failure of any manufacturers factory extractors.

I would however go with the Sako extractor over the M16 extractor because the M16 type extractor is more prone to failure. We always considered it the weakest link in the M16 platform when I was in the service.

How many shots do I have to make before the extractor fails on a hunting rifle?

In some cases some smiths don't do anything to rem actions but most do square the boltface, lap lugs, square action and true threads. This all can improve accuracy. Sometimes the action is good enough. If I am going to spend the money to put a once in a lifetime gun together I will have it done or go with custom. One thing to remember most all of the custom actions are Remington clones so there is nothing wrong with the 700. I have factory rems that shoot really well but could be better. The M16 extractor is added to rem 700 to handle pressure which is a safety issue.

Wouldn't running a load over pressure be more of a safety issue than the extractor?

Wouldn't running a load over pressure be more of a safety issue than the extractor?

Yes, checking for pressure signs when working up a load is most important as checking primers or getting a sticky bolt. I don't push loads way over book max like some do and probably would be just fine with factory extractor but why are they putting these extractors are custom actions????

It has nothing to do with how many times you shoot it. I don't want pieces of **** flying in my eyes that is why it is a safety issue. I had a savage extractors come apart with factory ammo in two rifles. I have had pieces of primers hit me in the face from Remington actions also. I don't chase max velocity as I look for accuracylightbulb

Only one when it counts and you end up with a stuck case and need a follow up shot.

It's the weak point in an therwise very trouble free system and it's cheap to solve when you are redoing the action so why not.

If you wanted to change out three tires on your truck and the one you wanted to keep had an obvious defect that the tireman tells you will cause a blow out at some point in the future would you keep that tire or replace it?

Anoth problem with them is that frquently they are not cut right and will start shaving brass off to the point it builds up and you can then no longer get a round to chamber or worse get one chambered and cannot extract it in a critical moment because of that built shaved brass.

Ther wer imperfections in ever mass produced action ever made which is why gunsmiths spend a good portion of their working lives fixing those problems and that's why we have such an amazing array of aftermarket parts to improve on the existing factory parts that fail regularly or prove to be just a bad concept from the start like their factory triggers.

I'm not bashing Remington and saying go with something else, I'm saying go with Remington and be smart to actually get rid of the problems so you don't have to deal with them at some point in the future when they very well fail and the worst possible moment. Prevention is cheaper than curing by a long shot. Pun intended.

The loads don't have to be "over pressure" to cause the system to fail. It's just a poor design from the start that will eventually fail even if you spend the gun's lifetime shooting low end neutered loads to avoid recoil.

The loads don't have to be "over pressure" to cause the system to fail. It's just a poor design from the start that will eventually fail even if you spend the gun's lifetime shooting low end neutered loads to avoid recoil.

I agree totally. I guess when I am standing on a mountain in Alaska I don't want find out it failed.

I think I am sold on the Stiller action after researching blueprinting, custom handle, M16 extractor, recoil lug costs of materials and install. I would be looking at about $850 with the Stiller at $940. The stock is probably the next choice I have to make???

1st choice Mcmillan Edge-lightweight high quality but spendy 22-24 oz
2nd choice Mcmillan Hunter-midweight high quality spendy -32 oz
3rd choice Grayboe outlander somewhat heavy good quality nice price-42 oz
4th choice Bell and Carlson Alaskan middle of road quality nice price-32oz
5th choice Bell and Carlson Medalist -40oz

The donor vs custom is a good thread.

ATTABOY! "IF" you stay on course, you're golden.

Cheers!

I agree totally. I guess when I am standing on a mountain in Alaska I don't want find out it failed.
I spent over a year buying, trying, testing, rifles, scopes and ammo to make sure I had everything covered before I got to Africa and even at that, my first two shots with the Swift SciroccoII's were abysmal failures leaving me with a gun I could not trust for the rest of the hunt unless I could replace them and do it fast with a bullett my PH had complete faith in and I didn't want to spend the rest of the trip shooting all of the small and large animals alike with the .375 Ruger because although the DGX's were getting the job done, they were separating, something they are not supposed to do and as a result weren't giving me anything close to through and through shots even shooting zebral on the shoulder or my big sable dead straight on center of the chest.

The wider my experience has gotten on medium and large game the more demanding I've become as to what I expect as minimal acceptable terminal performance.

I want considerable but controlled expansion I can count on every time I pull the trigger that makes big enough hole and carries enough mass and velocity to the target to guarantee to the greatest extent possible one shot kills that produce minimal meat loss.

In order, my favorite bullets based on that criteria are the Peregrine Plainsmaster, Hornady Interbond, and Nosler Accubond. I have also had acceptable but limited performance out of the Longer range versions of both the Peregrine and Nosler bullets previously mentioned.

I think I am sold on the Stiller action after researching blueprinting, custom handle, M16 extractor, recoil lug costs of materials and install. I would be looking at about $850 with the Stiller at $940. The stock is probably the next choice I have to make???

1st choice Mcmillan Edge-lightweight high quality but spendy 22-24 oz
2nd choice Mcmillan Hunter-midweight high quality spendy -32 oz
3rd choice Grayboe outlander somewhat heavy good quality nice price-42 oz
4th choice Bell and Carlson Alaskan middle of road quality nice price-32oz
5th choice Bell and Carlson Medalist -40oz

The donor vs custom is a good thread. I have a Savage custom with Douglas barrel reamed to a 6 dasher. It shoots real well but I am not confident in Savage products if I am on a once in a lifetime hunt or a dangerous situation.
To give you an idea on prices, here's one that would be great for your application, BN Never used Bell and Carlson M40 I have two of them and love them.

New Remington 700 Long Range Rifle Stock (Bell and Carlson M40) | eBay

Haven't come across an Alaskan.

Man, I'm glad I haven't had the bad luck y'all have had with rifles.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Man, I'm glad I haven't had the bad luck y'all have had with rifles.

Good luck in your future endeavors.
If you own and shoot enough 700's sooner or later you will along with trigger and safety problems if you don't take care of them ahead of time.

I don't see why it bothers you for us to warn the guy about the weak points in the system so he can address them. It will never be as easy in the future, cheap, or practical to do so as it is now.

It's not bashing on Remington, it's addressing the reality of what the action is and it's weak points. That they exist is well documented and why we have a thriving industry providing the "fixes".

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.