Build your own scope

trueblue

This thread is to post what you would like to see in a scope.
For me, I want a hunting scope that is as tough and track as repeatable as a NXS Nightforce. 3 power on the low end, about 18-20 power on the high end. Weight to be no more than 20-22 oz. Want to be able to dial dope in MOA, and hold wind based on horizontal hash marks in reticle. Would prefer 30mm tube, only because those are rings I have, but a 1" tube would not be a deal breaker. I would also like a 42-44mm objective.
A scope like this would take about 3/4# off my long range rifles.
I love Nightforce 2.5-10x32 but lacks a little on upper end magnification.

Don't know if it's even feasible but...my dream LR Hunting scope specs:

3-20x50 with a 30mm tube. SFP with the reticle accurate on 20x. Scope weight no more than 25 ounces. Turret feel and the reliability of a NXS/ATACR. 20 MOA per rev (good balance of click spacing and allows 1k on one rev). Reticle similar to the MOAR-T (thin with horizontal and vertical holds is the key). No illumination (for weight saving, and I've never used it in my life even 30 minutes after shooting light). Ocular lens that doesn't turn with the magnification ring (hate that about NF). Windage cap with thread cover (same as NF ATACR) if preferred to run without cap. Lower profile windage knob. 10 MOA windage per direction (R/L).

I'd by that scope for at least 3 rifles!

3-30x60, dual focal plane, illuminated, exposed turrets, lockable, zero stop, don't much care about weight, I'll suffer pain for function.

$2k'ish

This thread is to post what you would like to see in a scope.
For me, I want a hunting scope that is as tough and track as repeatable as a NXS Nightforce. 3 power on the low end, about 18-20 power on the high end. Weight to be no more than 20-22 oz. Want to be able to dial dope in MOA, and hold wind based on horizontal hash marks in reticle. Would prefer 30mm tube, only because those are rings I have, but a 1" tube would not be a deal breaker. I would also like a 42-44mm objective.
A scope like this would take about 3/4# off my long range rifles.
I love Nightforce 2.5-10x32 but lacks a little on upper end magnification.

This description is very close, to my idea of the ideal hunting scope. As much as I like my Nightforce NXS scopes, they have just too much bulk and weight for my requirements in a hunting rifle. I was dissapointed when NF introduced the SHV, hoping that it would have been comparable in specifications, weight, and size to the Huskemaw 5x20x50, my preferred scope for hunting for the last several years.

A scope like the Burris Eliminator III with great glass, durability and a built in weather station so I don't have to fudge the program. Windmeter built in as well. I use some outside the norm stuff like the Canon IS binocular and Eliminator III. Scopes are ready for the tech to calc a shot, it's not that I can't it's just the speed of the system. I can shoot in under 5 seconds from sighting, also I don't have to think or count lines, when you are goofy as I am it's a real bonus.
Time for easily available tech to be in our scopes, if it breaks we can still use an app or god forbid DOPE.

March 2.5-25x52 SFP, model MAR1017, came "pretty darn close" to my idea of the perfect scope for my needs.
If I was to build one it'd be a 50mm objective model of this scope with a MOAR reticle. lightbulb
I wanted some of the exact same features as guys previously posted here, and the March fit the bill.
I was impressed with overall quality, feels very solid, & excellent glass clarity. Click adjustments are very positive. I wanted to drop some weight from my NXS, & ended up about 1/2# lighter.:D
Haven't spent any trigger time with it yet, as I sent it off to my Smith for my current build.
I'm anxious to spend time behind it. gun)

March also has a 42mm objective model as well, & a couple oz's lighter. :)

March 2.5-25x52 SFP, model MAR1017, came "pretty darn close" to my idea of the perfect scope for my needs.
If I was to build one it'd be a 50mm objective model of this scope with a MOAR reticle. lightbulb
I wanted some of the exact same features as guys previously posted here, and the March fit the bill.
I was impressed with overall quality, feels very solid, & excellent glass clarity. Click adjustments are very positive. I wanted to drop some weight from my NXS, & ended up about 1/2# lighter.:D
Haven't spent any trigger time with it yet, as I sent it off to my Smith for my current build.
I'm anxious to spend time behind it. gun)

March also has a 42mm objective model as well, & a couple oz's lighter. :)

There is a March 2 1/2-25X in our classifieds right now. Too much for my pocket book at this time.

The March described here could be made lighter with a carbon or titanium tube. I think plastic glasses have been around for a few years now. Maybe the internal lenses could be plastic. I really like second focal plane. One inch is better than 30mm to me. The windage lines on the horizontal sound like a good idea also. For the ranges I hunt range lines on the vertical would be just fine. But would like repeatable turrets if I twist. Great glass with fantastic low light properties and water resistant lenses are very desirable.

I really love everything about my Veracity 3-15x50, but it would be the perfect scope if they could shave 7-8 ounces off it. I haven't had a lot of the high dollar scopes, but of the VX6s, VX3s, and SHV, and assorted Nikons I've owned, my eyes love this optic the most and the features have been wonderful as well.

I have a NF ATAC-R 5-25X56 on one of my rifles, and with just a few modifications it would be my perfect scope. First, I like the 34mm tube, but I would go with the 50mm obj to allow lower mounting. I would keep the MOAR-T reticle in sfp, and I love the new digital illumination. I will not own a high end hunting scope that does not have an illuminated reticle. I work too hard and spend too much every year to try and put myself in a position to harvest a few nice animals to risk not being able to clearly see my reticle on the target...it's happened a few times with whitetails down here in MS. My ideal magnification range would be similar to maybe 4-24, uncovered moa elevation turret with zero stop, and lower profile wind age turret with a cap like the NF. I also don't like the way the entire eyepiece rotates when changing power, so I would fix that, and have it weigh in at 22-24 oz. put all these features in a scope with quality glass and I'll be a customer for life!

My 3-24x52 FFP,F1 mil March pretty much fits the bill for me.I would like a slight thinner cross hair like my TMR, slight rubber coat on scope eye piece,and the focus it a bit to picky on high power and price to high not to be perfect

This being a long range hunting forum, I'll describe a scope designed for that. For under 400 yards I don't need the extra power and a BDC reticle is adequate. Even if I don't shoot critters out to 1000 yards, there's a lot to be learned by practicing at ranges from 600-1200 yards, so I'd like a hunting scope that can do that well.

*3-18 or 4-20 power would be fine. (The 3-24 on the March scopes is nice but only if such a large power range doesn't come at the expense of other optical factors such as fine focus, field of view, reticle thickness, or ups the cost into the stratosphere)

*wide, low profile turrets- they need to be wide to allow for adequate spacing between clicks/numbers

*turrets absolutely must track and return to zero reliably.

*capped elevation turret- threaded for a cap but functional without one so you could have it capped while packing in and either capped or uncapped while hunting. Uncapped but locking elevation would be fine too, but I like the idea of being able to protect it while not hunting.

*capped windage turret- numbered 0, 1L/R, 2L/R etc

*20-25 MOA per revolution (but not limited to only one revolution)

*18-22 oz scope weight. This is one area where few manufacturers are on board yet. Most hunting rifles get carried and packed a lot, and putting a 30 oz scope on a hunting rifle just doesn't make sense to me.

*zero stop on elevation turret

*well designed etched glass FFP reticle: 1 MOA hash marks on vertical and horizontal posts, with Christmas tree dots below. Simply put its nice to have options. Dial or hold for wind/elevation. Hash marks valid at more than one power (or if you forget to check your power setting!) I think one reason SFP is still so popular with hunters is that few hunting scopes come with good FFP reticles. Vortex EBR-2/7 and XLR reticles have it pretty much right. Solid aiming point at low power, but still thin/precise enough at high power. This is also where extreme power ranges make it trickier, but not impossible.

*matching (mil/mil or MOA/MOA) turrets and reticles.

*good glass and optical design- I don't need

The Swarovski s5 has the glass, power range, and the weight right, but the turrets, reticle, limited elevation are not up to snuff. If Leupold made a FFP VX-6 3-18x44 with a TMOA reticle I'd own more than one right now. Athlon is on track, especially with the Ares scopes coming out next February, but they still weigh close to 30oz. Same goes with Bushnell Elite LRHS. Great glass and so close...almost not too heavy. If Vortex cross-bred their Razor HD LH and Viper HS LR to get a 20oz FFP Razor LH with an XLR reticle. I'd buy several.

Of all the scopes the March 3-24 FFP models are the closest. Others have mentioned the 2.5-25 March scope as well. But they are pretty dang spendy. If someone else could do all the features of the March scopes with 90% of the glass quality for under $1000, I think that would sell a lot of scopes.

Just placed an order for the March 2.5x25x52. It's about as close to the perfect scope for my needs as I can find. Greatest appeal is the weight, size, reticule design, 2nd FP, in a no frills, simple package.

Just placed an order for the March 2.5x25x52. It's about as close to the perfect scope for my needs as I can find. Greatest appeal is the weight, size, reticule design, 2nd FP, in a no frills, simple package.
They are on sale to.
I am getting close to pulling the trigger on the 42mm model for my light weight 6.5 SAUM

They are on sale to.
I am getting close to pulling the trigger on the 42mm model for my light weight 6.5 SAUM

Yes, it was on sale. The time looked right given Nightforce has announced a price increase for 2017. It would only make sense that it would be a good possibility that March could increase prices as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.