Build Options- 260 or 260AI/ Question about 240Weatherby

zgardner

I have been considering a build off of the a Savage/Stevens platform for a while and still have some concerns about caliber.

Lets say elk is on the menu but max yardage of 500yds. Mostly would be used for long range deer and speedgoats.

How much difference will there be from the 260 to the 260AI?

I would like to shoot the 140gr VLD's and try and push velocity up to that 2950fps mark. Although I believe high 2700's to low 2800's is more realistic.

OR In the end do ya go with a 6.5-284 on a Stevens LA?

I have put together some build specs and I am wanting to know if it will all go together. Let me know what I am doing wrong.

Action: Stevens 200 in 22-250
Stock: Bell and Carlson Medalist Tactical Style 2 Tan with Black Webbing
Will this short action stock leave enough room for the 140gr bergers to be seated properly? Otherwise a Choate stock in LA? Different Stevens action aswell.
Trigger: SSS Competition Trigger or Rifle Basixs
Magazine: CDI DBM- Can you get something like this to work in the stock without much work?
Recoil Lug: Competition Recoil Lug- SSS
Barrel and Muzzle Break: 26"/ 1-8 Twist/ Would like to run 140 Bergers, 140 and 120 Nosler Ballistic Tips, or 140gr Accubonds. I was thinking of a taper that ended at .75 to .85 at the muzzle with break finished in barrel.
Would like to have suggestions on barrel maker and contour and break.

I like the looks of the Tan/ Black Webbing Bell and Carlson stock. I am thinking of having action, bolt handle, barrel all finished in matte black. Is this possible to have all colors match from action to barrel or will it need to be cerokated in black?

240 Weatherby

Anyone ever think about building one off of a Stevens LA, Choate Stock, and 22" varmit contour barrrel?

I think this could be a pretty sweet coyote setup- Shooting 80 B-tips.

Would you loose a considerable amount of speed with short barrel?

Thanks

Judging by what you are wanting to do with your rifle, have you considered a .257 Weatherby Mag as your caliber of choice?

They are capable well beyond 500 yards, and will take elk beyond that distance with no issues, providing you are using a heavier bullet, such as a 110gr Nosler AccuBond, or 117gr Barnes TSX.

Yes, I own a .257 Weatherby and pretty much is my go to gun for everything. Was just thinking about playing with a 6.5 caliber. Something that has better BC than a quater bore. Do some shooting way out there.

As far as the 240 goes. I have always thought that it is a neat caliber and you could get some 80 85 grainers flying.

Do some reading on the .280 Ackley Improved 40* shoulder. I think you might find it very interesting given your description of what you're looking for.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.