6.5x.284 or .260AI

fredj338

I am looking to rebarrel a Rem. M700SA to a 6.5. Does anyone have any experience w/ a .260 improved? The rifle will be used as a target / varmint rig out to 800yds. What tyoe of vel. can I expect from a 26" bbl.? Thanks for your time.

I shot the regular 260 and the 6.5-284. Even with the improved case, I don't think the 260 can keep up. Plus, it's not worth the hassle of fireforming. Go with the 6.5-284, get some Norma brass and have fun.

Thanks PT, what do you think of this round in a SA? I will probably be happy w/ the Sierra 120gr MK for targets out to 800yds or so, & I suppose I could single load the 140's if I felt the need. Do you know if the mag box can be modiofied to give a bit more room? Thanks for the time.

hello. The 6.5-284 is the better of the two. I have a 6.5-284 and it works nice. As for projectile weight the 140's are better than the 120's. I have used both and for long range the heavier one's group better at longer ranges ....over 600 yards under that the 120's will be just as good for targets but I have never shot game with the light one's so I dont know how they stand up.Now for the action if you do a 6.5-284 on the short action it will only be able to be a single shot if you want to use the 140's or heavier and get the full potential out of the case. The actual action length is too short for the round (with the 140grain projetile seated out but will feed and function properly with them seated to the correct length for that action).Seating the 140's to the correct length for a short action will work and still (by my calculations) do better than the .260imp.But you will need to reduce the loads to compensate for less case capasity.
I hope this helps you.

[ 04-16-2002: Message edited by: 10X ]

I know some guys do modify the magazine box to lengthen it but I don't really see the need. Just loading single shot, you would be fine. It only takes a few seconds to put in another round. Make the first shot count and you'll have no worries.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.