Build #2 - Ideas welcome

jtmoose

I wanted to share my story for anyone in the same boat.

Build #1:
Stevens 200
22" X-Caliber, #5 Contour, 1:10, 308win
B&C Medalist Blind Mag
Rifle Basix Sav-2
Leopold VX1 3-9x40

Starting out i didn't know what i wanted other than a hunting rifle i could take to the range. I bought a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 but it shot terribly. I replaced the barrel with a budget varmint barrel which shot find but was a little too heavy and I was having a hard time finding good 7mm-08 ammo. Replaced the barrel again with the X-Caliber listed above. Then the stick didn't fit me well so I replaced it with the B&C Medalist. Scope seemed just as good as an older higher end model which plenty people were happy with. Trigger was just because I knew it would make a world of difference.

Fast forward two years, some hunting, and target shooting later. Have find that the Stevens 200 are just fine but I want stainless for here in western WA. Barrel is a little heavy for the mountains but balances and shoots well enough to pack the weight. Stock is a little wide for my scabbard and heavy for the mountains. Also, blind mag is a little inconvenient for getting in/out of vehicles but not so bad i wouldn't do it again. Haven't really seen any limitations of the scope yet because I hunt mostly in timber and don't intend to shoot past PBR.

Now, here is my attempt at build #2.

Savage 16
18" X-Caliber, Fluted #5 contour, 308win
Stock: TBD (thinking manners EH4) (blind or detachable)
Rifle Basix SAV-2
Scope: VX1 until I identify exactly what it can't do

So, that's my beginner lessons learned and gladly welcome any ideas toward build #2.

Finished up my second build finally.
  • Savage 16
  • 22" X-Caliber, #5, 1:10, 308win
    • using a gun bearer instead of shorter barrel for keeping it handy in the woods
    • 1:10 might be a little tight of a twist but I'm working on finding a factory load that works well for me, slower loads for weight seem to be better from what I'm learning
  • B&C M40 Stock
  • Stock accutrigger
    • (the Rifle Basix I had I couldn't get to fit right and the accutrigger wasn't that bad in comparison to the stock stevens I had before it)
  • Sig Whiskey 5 2-10x42
Not sure exactly what it weighs but it's about the same weight as my first build (maybe a tough lighter) but is comfortable in the gun bearer and keeps target shooting more comfortable. Definitely find the detachable magazine more convenient for almost everything and haven't had any issues with losing it or anything. I like the illumination on the sig scope; last year I had legal light but couldn't see the reticle on what I wish was a legal bull.

Now it's time to get to shootin' and start extending my abilities.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.