Brownells --- EXPLOSIVE !

So what's up with Brownells shipping department and hazmat shipping of smokeless powder????????

Smokeless powder is hazmat-- but it should be labeled "flammable " not "explosive "

In the past my powder shipments have been "flammable" and some but not all have required signatures for shipping---I've been able to sign the "missed you" shipping tag and the fed-ex or ups guy just leaves them on my porch the next day.

BUT Brownells just sent my powder via "explosives" label and fed ex refuses to leave it without an "in person adult signature" -- it almost got sent back to Brownells but I was able to meet them for the final delivery attempt.

Are they doing this on purpose so shipments no longer get left on the porch and "get lost"? Or do you think this was a mistake by an uninformed shipping department worker? (as real black powder (goex) is considered explosive)

If it was done on purpose-- I'm not a fan, and they need to tell you you must be present for delivery when you order.

Or have the hazmat designations changed and I was un-aware?

View attachment 360575

So what's up with Brownells shipping department and hazmat shipping of smokeless powder????????

Smokeless powder is hazmat-- but it should be labeled "flammable " not "explosive "

In the past my powder shipments have been "flammable" and some but not all have required signatures for shipping---I've been able to sign the "missed you" shipping tag and the fed-ex or ups guy just leaves them on my porch the next day.

BUT Brownells just sent my powder via "explosives" label and fed ex refuses to leave it without an "in person adult signature" -- it almost got sent back to Brownells but I was able to meet them for the final delivery attempt.

Are they doing this on purpose so shipments no longer get left on the porch and "get lost"? Or do you think this was a mistake by an uninformed shipping department worker? (as real black powder (goex) is considered explosive)

If it was done on purpose-- I'm not a fan, and they need to tell you you must be present for delivery when you order.

Or have the hazmat designations changed and I was un-aware?

View attachment 360575
First off, what was the weight of this consignment? The following is an excerpt from 49CFR. "Commodity smokeless powder for small arms; classified by EX approval as a flammable solid; up to 8 pounds per bottle and 100 pounds per shipment" N3178 label and label stating "NA 3178, Smokeless Powder, for Small Arms" . Hazard Class Division: 4.1 and Packing Group: 1 CLASSIFICATION/CITATION is per 49 CFR 171.171 (a) (b) (c) (d), 49 CFR 172.101, 49 CFR 172.202, 49 CFR 173.301, 49 CFR 172.400, and 49 CFR 173.25. Mode of Transportation: Domestic Road, Rail, and Vessel and Air, with limitations. YES, it is required that an adult sign for the Commodity. Although a lot of delivery companies (FedEx, UPS, and such) don't actually get you to sign it. They do it for you, sometimes. They are not supposed to do this. But lots of them did this during the height of the pandemic. Happy trails!

1D81F53D-5917-4B62-B2B5-19623CB6D432.png
So what's up with Brownells shipping department and hazmat shipping of smokeless powder???????? Smokeless powder is hazmat-- but it should be labeled "flammable " not "explosive " In the past my powder shipments have been "flammable" and some but not all have required signatures for shipping---I've been able to sign the "missed you" shipping tag and the fed-ex or ups guy just leaves them on my porch the next day. BUT Brownells just sent my powder via "explosives" label and fed ex refuses to leave it without an "in person adult signature" -- it almost got sent back to Brownells but I was able to meet them for the final delivery attempt. Are they doing this on purpose so shipments no longer get left on the porch and "get lost"? Or do you think this was a mistake by an uninformed shipping department worker? (as real black powder (goex) is considered explosive) If it was done on purpose-- I'm not a fan, and they need to tell you you must be present for delivery when you order. Or have the hazmat designations changed and I was un-aware? View attachment 360575
I believe the proper label now is limited quantities label

So, I called Fed Ex since there is no way Im taking time off from work.
Here is how the conversation went:
Me: "Can you hold it at the local hub? I can pick it up as soon as you open."
Them: "Because of the hazardous nature of the shipment we cannot hold it at the hub."
Me: "How many attempts will they make?"
Them: "Three."
Me: "What happens after the third attempt?"
Them: "We hold it for 5 days."
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Looks like I gotta wait until Thursday to pick up my powder!?
But it's "hazardous" & we can't hold it! SMFH!!!

First off, what was the weight of this consignment? The following is an excerpt from 49CFR. "Commodity smokeless powder for small arms; classified by EX approval as a flammable solid; up to 8 pounds per bottle and 100 pounds per shipment" N3178 label and label stating "NA 3178, Smokeless Powder, for Small Arms" . Hazard Class Division: 4.1 and Packing Group: 1 CLASSIFICATION/CITATION is per 49 CFR 171.171 (a) (b) (c) (d), 49 CFR 172.101, 49 CFR 172.202, 49 CFR 173.301, 49 CFR 172.400, and 49 CFR 173.25. Mode of Transportation: Domestic Road, Rail, and Vessel and Air, with limitations. YES, it is required that an adult sign for the Commodity. Although a lot of delivery companies (FedEx, UPS, and such) don't actually get you to sign it. They do it for you, sometimes. They are not supposed to do this. But lots of them did this during the height of the pandemic. Happy trails!
2- 1 pound bottles-- you can't even go over the limits as the max container size you can but is 8 pounds-- and most companies limit you to 25 pounds max ( if you could even find that much in stock to buy right now)

I just got a shipment of primers and powder from Brownells and it did have the explosive sticker on it and it had to be signed for. They are the only ones doing it as far as I know. Also the shipping time is pretty stretched out I think it was like 16 days from order until delivery. Midway, Powder Valley, Defender, Midsouth and Natchez usually only take 5 to 6 days from order to delivery and no signature.

View attachment 361189 I believe the proper label now is limited quantities label
This label has been used. But not correctly for this particular issue. Look at, "...unless the limited quantity package also contains a hazardous substance or hazardous waste. Case in point. You should always certify a shipment to the highest hazzard. Some shipments require multiple labels for multiple hazards. The shipper, not the carrier is responsible for all certification requirements. Have you seen the penilities for getting it wrong? I have seen 2 people get hammered for their not certifying correctly. One allowed multiple non-compatable items to be shipped in the same container. The other failed to certify ALL the hazzards on an item being offered for shipment. The hazzard leaked causing severe damage to the shipment and caused damage to the truck. This guy paid out over 175k in fines and was lucky not to get locked up. Some of the procedures and labeling requirements have changed over the years to get in line with international transportation requirements and to make the process easier to perform. But the hazards remain the same. Have fun and stay safe

I've bugged some people at Brownells about the signature and they said it's a FedEx requirement and that they've tried to get an exemption, but FedEx won't budge. I keep seeing complaints about FedEx, but they're great in my area; driver goes to my church and always makes time for friendly conversation when he deliveries my goodies.

I got an 8# and a 1# pounder in the other week. It was all label up. In cardboard boxes with paper inside the boxes so it wouldn't move around. A lot money for hazmat. Oh I know. It's the wood fired cooking stoves inside the trucks to cook and and keep the drivers warn and hot food while out on the road.
HAZMAT FEE'S ARE BULLS***. "The Clinton Group".
Kind like Suppressor's. I hadn't realize that each time you order a suppressor you have to go through a background total check again. Even if you have completed one. Which I hadn't yet. Still waiting and now on a second one.

Last edited:
I've bugged some people at Brownells about the signature and they said it's a FedEx requirement and that they've tried to get an exemption, but FedEx won't budge. I keep seeing complaints about FedEx, but they're great in my area; driver goes to my church and always makes time for friendly conversation when he deliveries my goodies.
That's a perk for you , it's not everyone that goes to church with the delivery driver.
Your lucky!

So, I called Fed Ex since there is no way Im taking time off from work.
Here is how the conversation went:
Me: "Can you hold it at the local hub? I can pick it up as soon as you open."
Them: "Because of the hazardous nature of the shipment we cannot hold it at the hub."
Me: "How many attempts will they make?"
Them: "Three."
Me: "What happens after the third attempt?"
Them: "We hold it for 5 days."
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Looks like I gotta wait until Thursday to pick up my powder!?
Insanity.

Recent Posts