Brown bear Rifle

I heard that the 375 Ruger that came out several years ago had a lighter recoil than the 375H&H.
I always wanted to get one.
Have the first 375Ruger ever shipped. Have several H&H's. The Ruger kicks less but I think it's a combination of their stock design (it's an Alaskan model) and gun weight. I don't think it's the cartridge itself. I have a custom 416 Rigby that is a pussycat to shoot…….stock design! (A Frank Wells build.) The big boys need to fit you like a fine shotgun or they will make you pay!

Have the first 375Ruger ever shipped. Have several H&H's. The Ruger kicks less but I think it's a combination of their stock design (it's an Alaskan model) and gun weight. I don't think it's the cartridge itself. I have a custom 416 Rigby that is a pussycat to shoot…….stock design! (A Frank Wells build.) The big boys need to fit you like a fine shotgun or they will make you pay!
When Ruger first came out with the 375 Ruger I told my father in law that I have to get one. My father in law probably had well over 1K+ in firearms to date.
We never did get one but always thought that Ruger had a good idea!

Doesn't a .375 actually kick a little less - or not as sudden as a .338?
You'ld have to shoot them in equal weight rifles to find out.

The only .375 I've shot was a .375 Weatherby, in a Sako Lightweight Hunter. That's a really lightweight rifle. Too light for the 375 Weatherby. No muzzle brake. Wicked recoil with 285-300gr bullets. Almost knocked me out when the scope slammed into the brim of my plastic eyeglasses. Didn't know where I was momentarily, after the starbursts faded. Would'a joined the half moon club, but the glass frame spread out the impact of the scope tube. I had a 338 Win Mag to compare the recoil to my 375 Wthby. But the 338 Win Mag was a 1.5 lb heavier rifle. My 375 Wthby kicked quite a bit worse.

My buddy poked fun at me after that incident with my 375 Wthby. He was a big guy. 50lbs heavier than me. So I let him shoot it off the bench. I had a pretty good idea what was gonna happen. Drew blood on his forehead and dazed him too.

I shifted that scope tube forward, and then did hunt with the .375 Wthby for a few years. Killed some moose and black bear. But I haven't hunted with it for ~25yrs now.

Since the recoil was so brutal, about 4 years ago I bedded my .375 Wthby in a McMillan carbon fiber stock. Then installed a 4-port muzzle brake. Recoil is now very manageable, even with 300gr bullets.

I hunt the big bears now with a 338 Edge or 338 Lapua AIs. With 5-port muzzle brakes. Good muzzle brakes tame recoil a LOT. The brakes allow me to get recoil comfortable, and shoot with improved accuracy.

When my wife and I are in Alaska fishing or just taking in the States vista's traveling by camper... I always have my old never-fail Ithaca 37 Deerslayer slug gun with us.
When we are on the bank of a river or lake it's never off my back. I picked 3" 1 3/8 oz Brenneke Black Magic Mags for my slug in the Ithaca rifled barrel, barrel it's a track driver as a shotgun goes with pretty good range and tons of power in close. I'm amazed at how well my wife shoots it, it's just hard to beat where the big teeth hang out.

View attachment 277082
also own one.smart choice in close.obviously a man who knows something.but no lead,just steel.

You'ld have to shoot them in equal weight rifles to find out.

The only .375 I've shot was a .375 Weatherby, in a Sako Lightweight Hunter. That's a really lightweight rifle. Too light for the 375 Weatherby. No muzzle brake. Wicked recoil with 285-300gr bullets. Almost knocked me out when the scope slammed into the brim of my plastic eyeglasses. Didn't know where I was momentarily, after the starbursts faded. Would'a joined the half moon club, but the glass frame spread out the impact of the scope tube. I had a 338 Win Mag to compare the recoil to my 375 Wthby. But the 338 Win Mag was a 1.5 lb heavier rifle. My 375 Wthby kicked quite a bit worse.

My buddy poked fun at me after that incident with my 375 Wthby. He was a big guy. 50lbs heavier than me. So I let him shoot it off the bench. I had a pretty good idea what was gonna happen. Drew blood on his forehead and dazed him too.

I shifted that scope tube forward, and then did hunt with the .375 Wthby for a few years. Killed some moose and black bear. But I haven't hunted with it for ~25yrs now.

Since the recoil was so brutal, about 4 years ago I bedded my .375 Wthby in a McMillan carbon fiber stock. Then installed a 4-port muzzle brake. Recoil is now very manageable, even with 300gr bullets.

I hunt the big bears now with a 338 Edge or 338 Lapua AIs. With 5-port muzzle brakes. Good muzzle brakes tame recoil a LOT. The brakes allow me to get recoil comfortable, and shoot with improved accuracy.
i understand your premise.weight and stock fit and configuration are indeed major factors.but for me personally i would rather shoot my 375 improved all day over my 338 original stocked pre 64 win mag.also have a 358 sta along with 375.but these 2 are custom build by one of the best in the buisness winchester action smiths in this country.with the proper stocks and recoil pads.fully blueprinted.i enjoy your posts as a senior citizen,i know the truth and when ******** takes the bus.i like to read and listen,always have.yoe are on point and no ********.have hunted brownies 3 times in my life.2 successfully with proven guides,last 17 years ago still in decent shape a 65,but not for anything but a boat hunt now.i know dale adams and if he is still guiding in 2025 i might do one last for the badass of north america.thanks again for your input.also hated brakes forever.ten years ago my big sticks got them for range work.best decision i made.good life and good hunting to you.

Assuming similar rifles, a 375 H&H will recoil MORE than a 338 Win Mag. Period.
As to the OP, I live on Kodiak
I see lots of bad hunts. Most guys use 300 mags and their guide will have something a little bigger. If a guy is looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle, this is as good as any other reason.
A 300 mag shooting 200 grain Partitions will do the job. Some guides advocate for complete penetration, this suggests heavy copper bullets like a TSX. I typically carry a 340 Weatherby. This past season i used 225 grain TTSX. They were accurate and in 338 they are plenty devastating to the internals. Your guide will have a suitable rifle to back you up. Don't sweat the small stuff.
As far as who to book, Kodiak is pretty much all exclusive guide areas. You have to use the guy who controls the sub- unit. Lots of good places to hunt bears on Kodiak.

I talked to a nonresident hunter from Colorado this month paying $25,000 to a big game guide for a brown bear hunt on Kodiak Island. Met him at the air taxi service as we were preparing to fly out on a spring bear hunt of our own. This was his 4th AK brown bear hunt. He said $25K actually wasn't that bad compared to the going rates. This man was archery hunting.

Guessing another ~$3,000 in travel costs and gear.

Know guys that have killed them with 270 Win. I've killed them with 7mm Rem Mag. And of course .308 calibers have killed many. They will die with good bullet placement.

I prefer the .338 caliber. When all is said and done, the bear will be dead with good hits. The length of time from bullet impact till disabled and/or death is the difference.

If I was required to hunt with a guide, who would be expected to shoot any bear I shot that wasn't put down relatively quickly, I'd take a 338 WM on up. I'd want to shoot and kill my own bear, rather than having my guide kill it with his 375, after my first hit, or two.

Have shot several with the .338 Imperial Magnum and .338 Edge class cartridges. With good bullets, the bear don't stay on all fours for very long.
I enjoy my 340 Wby, but agree with your assessment. I want to stop my bear if it charges with my rifle and not depend on a guide.

Planning on a once in a lifetime brown bear Alaskan hunt in a couple years. Have a 300 Win Mag that shoots 220 Nosler partitions and 200 Nosler partitions quite well. Don't really want to buy another rifle but should I move up to a 338 class? Thinking of either a 33 Nosler, 338 WM or 338 ultra??? Opinions???
I would think that since your rifle shoots the 220 and 200 partitions well, then you must be pretty comfortable and accurate with the rifle as well. Energy wise your rifle is good to go. No need to go bigger or faster and meaner if you don't want to invest the money and time in a new rifle for this trip. Have a great time. Enjoy the trip and the hunt.

I have owned Ruger's in both 375 H&H and 375 Ruger. I felt the recoil was about the same with the 375 Ruger a just bit faster and sharper; the case design is more efficient and the powder charge is less. As far as the 375 H&H go, I always found the the Ruger Safari Rifle was pretty easy to shoot due to a solid stock and decent amount of weight in the barrel. The 375 H&H version actually weights slightly more than the 416 Rigby version due the smaller bore diameter in the same barrel blank. I sent the 375 H&H on to a new owner and kept the modern 375 Ruger as is better when it comes to reloading. I did replace the stock with a slightly heavier wood laminate version. Now it balances better and in more comfortable to shoot. Stock design and weight help with the recoil.