Brown bear Rifle

Truth there.

However the amount of time elapsed from the moment of bullet impact to bear completely inert will vary, based on the caliber and velocity of bullet. This becomes of utmost pertinence when shooting a bear at closer ranges, should the bear identify and decide to destroy the menace that pulled the trigger.

My thoughts. 30-30 and the light calibers can kill a bear or anything else. But if things went south, I'd want a lot more stopping power in hand.

I,m 75 yrs. old.Been reading about Alaska hunting for 65 years.Did a fly in outa Tok in '97 for moose....
There has been a ton of bear up there shot with 30-06,35 Whelen etc.etc.... with remington,winchester,sierra etc.etc. bullets.
Shot placement is key to planting one with first shot.

The part no one ever hears about is how many rounds the guide (s) pumped into the bear after the initial shot from the client,

you will hear how a 30-06 hunter got a 9.5' bear with one shot but not about the follow up of multiple rounds of 375 H&H, 416 Rem Mag or 458 Win Mag etc .. etc..

Some guides will fire a split second after clients bullet impact on a bear .... once a bear has been hit it's a war zone until it's down

It doesn't happen in 100% of the hunts, usually when hit bad or with a marginal cartridge,

If Alaska state law didn't require guides for non resident brown bear hunters, there would be a lot of horror stories of bears tearing up hunters .... FACT

The part no one ever hears about is how many rounds the guide (s) pumped into the bear after the initial shot from the client,

You will hear how a 30-06 hunter got a 9.5' bear with one shot but not about the follow up of multiple rounds of 375 H&H, 416 Rem Mag or 458 Win Mag etc .. etc..

Some guides will fire a split second after clients bullet impact on a bear .... once a bear has been hit it's a WAR ZONE until it's down
Lols on the war zone. 🤣
Really good reason to shoot a bullet with enough horsepower to flatten them upon impact.

Thank God I'm a resident and not required to hire a guide for brown bear.

Last edited:
Planning on a once in a lifetime brown bear Alaskan hunt in a couple years. Have a 300 Win Mag that shoots 220 Nosler partitions and 200 Nosler partitions quite well. Don't really want to buy another rifle but should I move up to a 338 class? Thinking of either a 33 Nosler, 338 WM or 338 ultra??? Opinions???
I presume you will be hunting with a licensed guide who has an vested interest in a successful hunt and your safe return... He should back you up if needed. But honestly I think the 300WM with 200gr or 220gr Partitions are more than adequate. Bullet placement on the first shot is always very important. But so is having confidence in your rifle, which you already seem to have.

you will hear how a 30-06 hunter got a 9.5' bear with one shot but not about the follow up of multiple rounds of 375 H&H, 416 Rem Mag or 458 Win Mag etc .. etc..

Some guides will fire a split second after clients bullet impact on a bear .... once a bear has been hit it's a war zone until it's down

It doesn't happen in 100% of the hunts, usually when hit bad or with a marginal cartridge,

If Alaska state law didn't require guides for non resident brown bear hunters, there would be a lot of horror stories of bears tearing up hunters .... FACT
The same holds true for Water Buffalo, even if the first shot is good they PH's pump Bullets into the beast until it hits the ground as they do not want it to make it to cover

My thoughts. 30-30 and the light calibers can kill a bear or anything else. But if things went south, I'd want a lot more stopping power in hand.
It's all been said before and thousands of big bears have been cleanly killed with with 30-06's and lesser cartridges. But to your point, there is a huge difference between a grizzly at 200 yards and one at 20 yards. At 50 yards or less you should be using the largest cartridge you can shoot well. And I mean REALY well... Confidence, accuracy, and shooting efficiency are paramount.

The same holds true for Water Buffalo, even if the first shot is good they PH's pump Bullets into the beast until it hits the ground as they do not want it to make it to cover
I've said this before, but for those people that read my posts with their eyes closed, (usually a great idea) I will say it again. I will not hunt with a guide that says he will shoot my animal just because my 378 Bee didn't knock it down the instant I fired my first round. If he, the guide, does shoot my animal without waiting for me to have at least two follow-up shots, he, the guide, had best have a tag in his pocket.

I've said this before, but for those people that read my posts with their eyes closed, (usually a great idea) I will say it again. I will not hunt with a guide that says he will shoot my animal just because my 378 Bee didn't knock it down the instant I fired my first round. If he, the guide, does shoot my animal without waiting for me to have at least two follow-up shots, he, the guide, had best have a tag in his pocket.
I agree but It is totally situation dependent

Agreed. I'd never pay any Alaska guide $25-30K to shoot my brown or grizzly bear. That's the going fee. I'd just as soon have no bear as a $30K guide shot bear. Add $3-5K for travel and tip costs.

Fortunately I'm an Alaska resident.

I'm thinking you need to say it louder for those in the back.🙂

Those are exactly my feelings…..though, I'll modify a bit! Someone, me included, had better be moments away from being bear scat before someone else shoots my animal……any animal!

Not that I'll ever make an expensive, guided hunt…..but, it's my hunt! "Nuff said"! memtb