Brown bear Rifle

I have a Win. Model 70 XTR .375 H&H in stock trim , much heavier than I want to hike up and down mountains with. If I can't run 40 "full house" rounds through it in one afternoon from the bench and maintain good groups.…..It's time to take up golf!

I also have as my "only" hunting rifle a moderately light .375 AI (9 pounds 1 once scoped, loaded, slung)….20 rounds in an afternoon is all I want!

Less weight, more powder capacity (while minimal) and higher bullet velocities, all contribute to increased recoil speed and increased ft/lbs recoil!

Unless the shooter has physical issues (shoulder problems or eye issues [perhaps a retina problem])….there's no reason most hunters/shooters cannot comfortably handle the recoil of a 10+ 375 H&H with good stock design and a good recoil pad! And a muzzle brake is certainly "NOT" needed! memtb

Having shot both with what would be a recommended bullet for that specific caliber, I find the kick of the 375 pushes harder but doesn't have the sharpness of that of the 338. I was bothered by neither while hunting moose or caribou. I haven't a desire to shoot a bear (no problem with anyone else wanting to) and have, in fact, accompanied friends on bear hunts - thus the larger caliber rifle. I would imagine that the adrenaline flow received when readying for a shot at a big bear would drown out any concern for kick. I've never noticed kick when shooting a game animal, and frequently use my 340 Wby for whitetail.

.375's are a great favorite, they are however subject to the same "rules" regarding recoil as anything else.

We had a Sako I can't say how it grouped as it was only fired enough to confirm sights. A most brutal experience shared by all that got behind it.

My custom gets the most attention of any in the safe. Lots have shot and enjoyed it. 20 rounds a session with bullets up to 350 grains not an issue.

Having shot both with what would be a recommended bullet for that specific caliber, I find the kick of the 375 pushes harder but doesn't have the sharpness of that of the 338. I was bothered by neither while hunting moose or caribou. I haven't a desire to shoot a bear (no problem with anyone else wanting to) and have, in fact, accompanied friends on bear hunts - thus the larger caliber rifle. I would imagine that the adrenaline flow received when readying for a shot at a big bear would drown out any concern for kick. I've never noticed kick when shooting a game animal, and frequently use my 340 Wby for whitetail.
Just sold my 340 Weatherby. Had to have a new Weatherby 338–378. Only killed one whitetail doe with it this year, but that Bee done well. DRT. I still have my old Weatherby 378, and they both seem to work well on whitetail. As for recoil, nothing beats a day of goose shooting with a 12ga. 3-1/2 magnum or my old 10 ga. Mag that my youngest son fell in love with and wouldn't give back. Shooting those shotguns all day VS one or two shots from a large rhino rifle is no comparison .

Just sold my 340 Weatherby. Had to have a new Weatherby 338–378. Only killed one whitetail doe with it this year, but that Bee done well. DRT. I still have my old Weatherby 378, and they both seem to work well on whitetail. As for recoil, nothing beats a day of goose shooting with a 12ga. 3-1/2 magnum or my old 10 ga. Mag that my youngest son fell in love with and wouldn't give back. Shooting those shotguns all day VS one or two shots from a large rhino rifle is no comparison .
Yea, there is no comparison - no scope to whack you in the forehead. I would much rather shoot my 3.5 12 gauge than my .416 Rem.

I used a friends 338-378 to shoot a medium size bull elk some years back. He bought the rifle as he loved the looks of it but really wasn't a hunter. He did love to eat elk and convinced me to use his rifle and split the meat. The bull was only about 650 pounds, was standing broadside at about 180 yards and I had zeroed the rifle at 300 yards. I felt bad about using up half a box of bullets sighting it in (that Wby ammo wasn't cheap). I had a decent rest, held behind the shoulder and fired that cannon. The bull didn't flinch, and walked over the other side of the hill he was on. We waited an hour as I knew I hit him good. He hadn't traveled 50 yards. Can't understand the punishment they can take as I'd blown a heck of a hole through him. Great cartridge!

Yea, there is no comparison - no scope to whack you in the forehead. I would much rather shoot my 3.5 12 gauge than my .416 Rem.
I feel for you, but I just can't quite reach you! No doubt that .416 is a big kick to shoot. I don't let recoil make my decisions for me. I buy my guns because they are powerful. To much is all most enough!!!

I used a friends 338-378 to shoot a medium size bull elk some years back. He bought the rifle as he loved the looks of it but really wasn't a hunter. He did love to eat elk and convinced me to use his rifle and split the meat. The bull was only about 650 pounds, was standing broadside at about 180 yards and I had zeroed the rifle at 300 yards. I felt bad about using up half a box of bullets sighting it in (that Wby ammo wasn't cheap). I had a decent rest, held behind the shoulder and fired that cannon. The bull didn't flinch, and walked over the other side of the hill he was on. We waited an hour as I knew I hit him good. He hadn't traveled 50 yards. Can't understand the punishment they can take as I'd blown a heck of a hole through him. Great cartridge!
I reload my Wby brass. Saves about $5.00 per shot. Glad to hear you got an elk with your buddy's 338–378. I sure hope to put my new toy on something big someday. Recoil from shooting at the range does not seem to have caused you to flinch. I've seen big ol' boys that could not finish a day of bird hunting because of their shoulder pain, and their shooting accuracy suffered, too.

I reload my Wby brass. Saves about $5.00 per shot. Glad to hear you got an elk with your buddy's 338–378. I sure hope to put my new toy on something big someday. Recoil from shooting at the range does not seem to have caused you to flinch. I've seen big ol' boys that could not finish a day of bird hunting because of their shoulder pain, and their shooting accuracy suffered, too.
Some need to learn to properly shoulder a rifle. Had to laugh - I had my son shooting a 338 Win Mag when he was 10 yo. He spent 17 years in the USAF until retiring as Obama wouldn't promote Special Ops pilots. When he retired, he came out to my place and we were shooting the 338 Win Mag. He got brow-busted twice. Needed to be retrained!

Planning on a once in a lifetime brown bear Alaskan hunt in a couple years. Have a 300 Win Mag that shoots 220 Nosler partitions and 200 Nosler partitions quite well. Don't really want to buy another rifle but should I move up to a 338 class? Thinking of either a 33 Nosler, 338 WM or 338 ultra??? Opinions???
300 win Mag with 200gr Nosler or Swift A frames or Fed Ascent or the Barnes 180 TTSX all excellent for Brown Bear here in Alaska. Your guide will have the big bore back up if needed. I suggest a good 22 LR rifle the grouse are good eating for supper. I live in Alaska and often carry my 300 win with 200gr Nosler Part and 74.0 of H4831. The 300 win mag is probably the most popular for Alaska hunting.

Last edited: