Breaking in a new gun today…

Jspeed

Sorry to post here, but this seems to be the most active forum, and I figure y'all will have the most insight. Breaking in the barrel on my son's new 6.5 PRC today and zeroing scope with Hornady Precision Hunter (143 ELD-X) factory ammo…gun was built by a very reputable builder….anyway- extremely heavy bolt lift, heavy ejector marks, and cratering of primers….running 2770ish out of an 18" Benchmark barrel….it was 75 degrees today in Mississippi….also running with a SilencerCo Omega (direct thread)….any thoughts would be appreciated….

I'd find the base to ogive length before anymore firings, as @Rhett Crider has stated, you could possibly be jamming into the lands, at least rule that out as a possibility. Iv'e found through multiple rifles that .050 to .055 jump with the Eldm/Eldx bullets is a safe and accurate distance from the lands.
I don't have any loose ELD-X's….gonna load 140 Berger's….I have .188 free bore…

I had similar issues in my 300PRC using factory hornady 225gr ELDM ammo.
About every 3rd factory Hornady ELDM would require heavy handed extraction.
I was getting about 2830fps and then i'd get spikes to 2870 to 2890

I measured and checked. I had no jamming/lands issues, no other obvious issues with muzzle brake, etc.
I pulled the bullets, weighed the poweder and some had a .4 and .5 grain difference between others.
My builder told me there was nothing unique with the reamer.
I pulled all the bullets and just reloaded them in my ADG brass when i was fire forming.

You may have a tight neck reamer. Measure your fired brass at the neck. Measure your loaded ammo over the neck. You would like to see north of .003 difference. I prefer .003-.004. If less, you may need to neck turn your brass going forward.
Also, see how easy a new bullet drops into fired brass. If you have to wiggle and force it to slip thru, that's not good.

Sorry to post here, but this seems to be the most active forum, and I figure y'all will have the most insight. Breaking in the barrel on my son's new 6.5 PRC today and zeroing scope with Hornady Precision Hunter (143 ELD-X) factory ammo…gun was built by a very reputable builder….anyway- extremely heavy bolt lift, heavy ejector marks, and cratering of primers….running 2770ish out of an 18" Benchmark barrel….it was 75 degrees today in Mississippi….also running with a SilencerCo Omega (direct thread)….any thoughts would be appreciated….
How many shots fired???

You may have a tight neck reamer. Measure your fired brass at the neck. Measure your loaded ammo over the neck. You would like to see north of .003 difference. I prefer .003-.004. If less, you may need to neck turn your brass going forward.
Also, see how easy a new bullet drops into fired brass. If you have to wiggle and force it to slip thru, that's not good.
This is merely folklore Bob.
If necks expand 0.0000000001" it might as well be a mile. The bullet is swingin in the wind, fully released, and there is not 1fps difference from that and any other clearance.
Just think about it: why would there be a difference?

I've done some testing with a fitted chamber, just for the learning here. This, with a remote trigger, and a chronograph.
I went from normal 2thou clearance to essentially none (but no interference). It made no difference. If a neck can expand at all, it's sufficient.
So I ended up sticking with 1/2thou neck clearance. This provided room for a bit of loaded runout, which if high enough to cause a chambered pressure point, which could throw a shot.
Never a problem.

Also, the notions about 'pull force' are meaningless to bullet release.
The fact is: if your load had to push a bullet out of necks, the gun would blow up right there.
You could actually run into this, an interference fitting neck, if you don't mind a building carbon ring at chamber end.
As far as crimping case mouths into bullets? This could be dangerous with highly improved cartridges, regardless of clearances.

This is merely folklore Bob.
If necks expand 0.0000000001" it might as well be a mile. The bullet is swingin in the wind, fully released, and there is not 1fps difference from that and any other clearance.
Just think about it: why would there be a difference?

I've done some testing with a fitted chamber, just for the learning here. I went from normal 2thou clearance to essentially none (but no interference). It made no difference. If a neck can expand at all, it's sufficient.
So I ended up sticking with 1/2thou neck clearance. This provided room for a bit of loaded runout, which if high enough to cause a chambered pressure point, which could throw a shot.
Never a problem.

Also, the notions about 'pull force' are meaningless to bullet release.
The fact is: if your load had to push a bullet out of necks, the gun would blow up right there.
You could actually run into this, an interference fitting neck, if you don't mind a building carbon ring at chamber end.
As far as crimping case mouths into bullets? This could be dangerous with highly improved cartridges, regardless of clearances.
Poor neck clearance does cause terrible ES, blown primers and ruined brass.
Just quit telling people it doesn't matter. Someone is going to get hurt.
You, do you.