reloading to break in a new barrel

dulltip

I'm curious what folks do when they get a new wildcat chambered rifle in which they need to break in the barrel but also want to find the best load.

I recently picked up an unfired rifle I can not find factory ammo for, but I have the components to build my own rounds. Normally I can buy some factory ammo to use for break in and sighting it in to then work up a load but this predicament has me wondering....cart or horse first?

Inquiring minds want to know what do you do?

Thank you - dt

I'm curious what folks do when they get a new wildcat chambered rifle in which they need to break in the barrel but also want to find the best load.

I recently picked up an unfired rifle I can not find factory ammo for, but I have the components to build my own rounds. Normally I can buy some factory ammo to use for break in and sighting it in to then work up a load but this predicament has me wondering....cart or horse first?

Thank you - dt

Well I know what I do. Just went through the same thing with a wildcat.

Just do your research. Internet is great for that. You don't want to be looking for your max now. Just a good intermediate load.

start a logbook

I start with a stoney point and the bullets you have picked. Find your max cartridge overall length for each bullet. Log it. You will use that information often. Remember to check periodically that will change as the throat erodes.

Will your brass need fireforming? If so you need to look for a good fireforming load.

Pick a load and bullet and load them up.

for break in there are many opinions. Mine is shoot 1 and clean for 5 shots. I like boretech eliminator. It will let you know if there is copper present and will clean it.

then depending on how the barrel is coppering I either do 5 more cleaning after each shot or if there is little or no copper I will go ahead and shoot a five shot group and clean. If the copper is gone then I am done with barrel break in if not I continue shoot and clean.

With a good quality hand lapped match barrel 5 and done is my experience.

during the break in you can be doing sight in and load development.

Log all your results. If you keep an accurate log you will be surprised how often you will go back to it.

Thank you - dt
What cartridge are we talking about?
If it's a cartridge that requires fireforming, pick a middle load and fire it, this will form cases and break in the barrel.
If it's a true wildcat, with no factory ammo, just work up loads at the same time as barrel break in or load up enough middle weight charges to break in the barrel using your preferred method.
I rarely break barrels in, mine get lapped prior to use and require very little break in, if any at all.

It really makes little difference which method you choose to use.

Cheers.
gun)

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and its been a struggle finding factory and I'm pondering if I can simply load up some rounds to do the break in then go for load development.

I am usimg new Hornady brass and Nosler bullets.

This is where my question originated from.

I used my Sinclair depth gauge, an new unfired Hornady case, along with my Nosler bullets to find the lands. But I'm curious if using the unfired Hornady case is going to cause any serious issues over using a once fired when doing the measurements using a sinclair tool? I'm guessing not considering if I used a Hornady depth gauge tool that uses an unfired case as part of the measuring tool right?

Upon getting my lands measurement I built up a ladder working off the lands; .010, .050, .090 & .130. But again I did so using unfired new Hornady brass for those loads. Mind you this is the same brass as I used in getting the lands measurements.

As I type this out a new questions has come to mind in that after I shoot the brass, should I re-do the measurements with the sinclair tool?

-dt

I start with a stoney point and the bullets you have picked. Find your max cartridge overall length for each bullet. Log it. You will use that information often. Remember to check periodically that will change as the throat erodes.

Will your brass need fireforming? If so you need to look for a good fireforming load.

Pick a load and bullet and load them up.

This is where my question originated from.

I used my Sinclair depth gauge, an new unfired Hornady case, along with my Nosler bullets to find the lands. But I'm curious if using the unfired Hornady case is going to cause any serious issues over using a once fired when doing the measurements using a sinclair tool? I'm guessing not considering if I used a Hornady depth gauge tool that uses an unfired case as part of the measuring tool right?

Upon getting my lands measurement I built up a ladder working off the lands; .010, .050, .090 & .130. But again I did so using unfired new Hornady brass for those loads. Mind you this is the same brass as I used in getting the lands measurements.

As I type this out a new questions has come to mind in that after I shoot the brass, should I re-do the measurements with the sinclair tool?

-dt

the stoney point cases are not fire formed in your chamber. You are headspacing off the shoulder. By holding firm pressure on the case you have the shoulder against the end of the chamber. then you extend the bullet out till you contact the lands. That measurement should be good to go at least within two or three thousands. Take the measurement several times at least till you get a few to agree. Finding the lands can be a little tricky.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts