Breaking in a new gun today…

Any resolution to this problem?
Thanks for following up….waiting on my gun rest (used for cleaning) to be brought back from the farm….gonna clean the chamber/lug recess area well, then try to shoot again soon…I really think that's going to be the issue….residual solvents. That said, I've never really had this problem before after cleaning the bore….Dewey cleaning kit, bore guide (2 o-rings), and gun was tipped muzzle down….steeply I might add….approaching 45 degrees…

Thanks for following up….waiting on my gun rest (used for cleaning) to be brought back from the farm….gonna clean the chamber/lug recess area well, then try to shoot again soon…I really think that's going to be the issue….residual solvents. That said, I've never really had this problem before after cleaning the bore….Dewey cleaning kit, bore guide (2 o-rings), and gun was tipped muzzle down….steeply I might add….approaching 45 degrees…

Invest in a good bore scope. Great investment for solving problems.

I have shot several 6.5PRCs with the factory Hornady 143 Precision Hunter ammo, several different boxes over the course of a couple years. Almost all showed heavy bolt lift and ejector marks. In both factory rifles and custom builds. Could very well be the ammo, not the rifle.
2770 is not terrible from an 18" with very few rounds down the barrel. I think factory is rated at 2960 from a 24"? Take away 150fps for 6" of barrel length loss puts you at 2810. Once your barrel brakes in, you should be there.

Which one do you have/like? I do agree with your suggestion!
Buy one that is several inches longer than your action, and barrel combined is my recommendation.

That is a possibility….I cleaned and ran dry patches through the barrel and I was using a bore guide and cleaned barrel with muzzle tipped downward, but it is a possibility…

Thread/wrap a small 4"x4" cloth around a pistol rod with an eyelet and dry out the chamber a few times. Push it up into the neck area, you will probably see solvent/carbon/blueish color on it.

Not sure if it matters, but makes me feel better. Even when I do this, my first round out of a clean barrel is always faster than the subsequent rounds. Some times get a faint ejector print. That said, if you go swimming prior to shooting, make sure "your powder's dry";)

Recent Posts