Break in problems?

Let me get this straight. You're an engineer and you think it's the cotton patches that are doing the breakin? And you think that hand lapping removes 100% of the burrs? Are you sure you're for real?

I don't think I have to prove any more points (you still haven't answered any of the above questions by the way) because I think anyone reading this thread can now see you're bucket doesn't hold any water. Have a great day in your own little world Jeff.

Heck, the only thing his bucket has regarding this topic is the handle. Just for the record, we in the nuclear industry have been known to polish the inside of piping to promote natural circulation flow of reactor coolant to aid in decay heat removal............

"Smooth" usually wins over "rough".

Chawlston

Time for a update.
I have now fired 20 rounds total thru the barrel, 18 with cleaning in between each round. The barrel still collects about as much copper as it did from the beginning.
Should I give up or continue 1 shot & clean ? Cant say it´s any more easy to clean now then earlier.

Last edited:
Time for a update.
I have now fired 20 rounds total thru the barrel, 18 with cleaning in between each round. The barrel still collects about as much copper as it did from the beginning.
Should I give up or continue 1 shot & clean ? Cant say it´s any more easy to clean now then earlier.

It's up to you if you want to stop and call it good or keep going. It sounds like a super rough barrel but sooner or later it will break in. I would keep going with one shot and clean until it's done. Can't be too much longer now.

The worst factory barrel I ever broke in took 25 shots.

Hi GG

Ill try some more. So fare I have used Norma Jaktmatch, a factory loaded training ammunition.
Ill load some rounds with a harder bullet tomorrow and try.

how much copper are you getting? If your runnin' sweets through and you're only geting some streaks of blue on your patch I'd go ahead to 2-5 shots between cleaning for a couple rounds. You're always going to get a little copper wash from each shot.

I'm thinkin' either your Sweets is bad, or you're not using it correctly. Get a nylon brush and really foam up the Sweets in your bore and let it sit for a good 15-20 minutes, then patch out. If you're still leaving copper wash either get a new bottle of sweets or buy some wipeout and accelerator. The wipeout WILL get ALL the copper out.

I cant get hold of Wipeout here in Sweden. :-(
Im very careful when it comes to clean my guns, and I like doing it :)
I dont use a nylon brush tho but a loose patch as writen on the sweets can, but ill try the nylon brush to day, thanks for the tips :)

Update:
I used the nylon brush to day and It was quite effective, now I have to buy more Sweets since im running low.
I would like to try Montana Extreme 50 Bmg but that cant be found here :-(

Last edited:
You might try Butch's bore shine and hydrogen peroxide. Soak the bore really good and then SLOWLY push a cotton patch soaked in peroxide down the bore,SLOWLY AS POSSIBLE. You should see a foam come out the end of the bbl, blue is copper. Speedy recommended this process if im not mistaken, if i am someone will prolly correct me.

How many rnds do you have down the bore????

GG what about the bore getting heat tempered??? I am not for sure but i was thinking i read before that after so many rnds the bbl gets tempered and thus the burrs that are left become much less likely to get worn down. I might be wrong but im thinkin i read it sometime. Either way as long as you clean the copper build up off the burrs they will get worn down somewhat.

I am still a firm believer in making sure the first shot is always down a lubed bore so you prevent dry metal on bullet contact and thus what i guess you could call unecessary coppet streaking.

If you see this GG tell me what you think about my question, im curious.

Hi

I have limited acces to other chemicals then Sweets, Shooters Choise and Milfoam. Since it is conciderd hazmat it´s expensive to get it to Sweden even for large companys. I work at a gun store and we sell Pro-Shot and some of Birchwood Caseys stuff.

I now have 23 rounds down the tube. I tried two rounds loaded with Sellier & Bellot 147gr bullet which has a hard jacket that is magnetic, coverd in copper. It is very like the jacket that Norma used before and what the Swedish armed forces used untill about 1980. I tried them just because they are hard. They left very little copper in the barrel. After the cleaning I tried another Norma Jaktmatch which has an ordinary tombac/copper jacket and the bore was red again...

GG what about the bore getting heat tempered??? .

I have read two very detailed and respected pieces of literature on the cause of the chemical changes and or layering that is indicated by the gray/white color change of the steel and they disagreed with each other.
However, neither mentioned heat tempering as a bi-product or a result but one of the authors did describe what seemed like a description of what happens when something gets tempered.

Im in the process of breaking in my new Rem 700 ADL in 300wm.
// Johan

Johan, that first sentence says it all, i.e., many recent Remington barrels are crap! Save your self further headaches, and just get a new barrel. That barrel will never work satisfactorily...use it for a tomato stake or something.

2 more rounds shot, loaded with 66gr H4350 and 167gr Lapua Scenar.

After removing the carbon/powder residue with Shooters Choise, including 20 complete strokes with a bronze brush, and about 30 minutes with Milfoam the bore looks like this at the muzzle.

copper.jpg

Im starting to think it´s not that fun any more and my arm hurts from all the scrubbing. :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts