Brass won’t fit in sizing die

megastink

Yesterday, I posted on a Facebook reloading group that my 7mm Rem Mag brass wouldn't go all the way into my RCBS sizing die. The consensus was "more lube". I just tried that, and dented the cases at the shoulder. Took the die apart, ran a patch through it a few times, and tried another case only to have the original problem again: stopping 3/4 the way in.

I'm going to clean the die with some degreaser next. But I am running out of ideas and patience. I'm using Frankfort arsenal spray on case lube. Brass is once fired Remington. Maybe I should try another lube? Buy virgin brass?

To get the best opinions...you will have to submit more information.
Was the brass fired out of your rifle or was it fired from an unknown rifle?
Is this a new die that you just started with or have been using to size brass for this rifle before?
Have you tried to break down a new factory round and run that brass thru the die to compare fit and eliminate a possible die issue?
These are the things to know before going further.

tried another case only to have the original problem again: stopping 3/4 the way in.
I've had some pretty nasty dies that needed polishing or they'd leave rings on the brass, but never one that the brass doesn't fit in in. If this is a new die that you haven't confirmed it's worked before, order a new one.

Assuming of course you've cleaned it out really well and there isn't a ton of packing grease gumming it up.

To get the best opinions...you will have to submit more information.
Was the brass fired out of your rifle or was it fired from an unknown rifle?
Is this a new die that you just started with or have been using to size brass for this rifle before?
Have you tried to break down a new factory round and run that brass thru the die to compare fit and eliminate a possible die issue?
These are the things to know before going further.
Fired from an unknown rifle. The die is brand new. I do not have any factory ammo, maybe I should buy a box.

I've had some pretty nasty dies that needed polishing or they'd leave rings on the brass, but never one that the brass doesn't fit in in. If this is a new die that you haven't confirmed it's worked before, order a new one.

Assuming of course you've cleaned it out really well and there isn't a ton of packing grease gumming it up.
I degreased it and tried two different types of lubes.

That or new quality virgin brass.
That'll tell you the story right away.
If new virgin brass or a new factory broken down ammo brass is as tight and stops again... Do as QuietTexan said and send the die back to RCBS for a new one and you have likely solved your problem.

If the new brass goes thru the die slick as goose sh**, then your fired brass has severe case web growth from an oversize chamber.

Last edited:
Try [email protected] They have a collet sizing die for belted magnums . I had the same problem with some once fired cases that I purchased. I did not purchase the die but rather pitched the brass and started with new Norma brass.

As Roughrice has already stated, purchase some new, quality brass and start from there, you're already vested into reloading your own rounds. Belted magnum brass is well known to swell above the belt and can be a bugger to resize. If the plan is for the 7mag to be your go to for the foreseeable future, investing in a collet style resizing die might be a good option. Personally, I use Unique lube and put a light amount on a felt pad and roll the cases on it. Hope this helps.

Yesterday, I posted on a Facebook reloading group that my 7mm Rem Mag brass wouldn't go all the way into my RCBS sizing die. The consensus was "more lube". I just tried that, and dented the cases at the shoulder. Took the die apart, ran a patch through it a few times, and tried another case only to have the original problem again: stopping 3/4 the way in.

I'm going to clean the die with some degreaser next. But I am running out of ideas and patience. I'm using Frankfort arsenal spray on case lube. Brass is once fired Remington. Maybe I should try another lube? Buy virgin brass?
Is it going down to where it hits the belt on the case?

Fired from an unknown rifle. The die is brand new. I do not have any factory ammo, maybe I should buy a box.
Are the brass fired from the McGowan barrel you purchased used a year ago? As @Rosebud, share a picture of your issue. You might very well need a new brass per @Roughrice recommendation. Below is what @Derral Crance is recommending:

Larry Willis Collet resizing die 1.jpg

Larry Willis Collet sizing die 2.jpg

I have yet to use it, but having it when I need it is nice.